LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2003, 05:44 AM   #1
sjhannan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 21

Rep: Reputation: 15
Angry driver request


Who should I email for a Audio Driver

I have a ABit IC7-G motherboard, I have the onboard network running, SATA running, but cannot get the Audio up and running

The ALC650 is not listed on the www.alsa-project.org website, although abit have posted a driver for this motherboard which is alsa based :-

http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/dr...ries=1&model=4

I have tried installing this driver, with no success, and it seems other people are having a similar problem!

so the question is whom best for the audio driver, ABIT are ignoring my request, as they do not support linux! (more fool them), and I cannot find a link on the alsa-project.org website for requests.

Please Please help!
 
Old 10-21-2003, 06:41 AM   #2
jnicol
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Glyfada Athens Greece
Distribution: Currently Suse 9
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
I also have an IT7 MAX2 Abit motherboard, but I haven't experienced any problem with its soundcard (an AC 97 compliant). When I put an Audigy2 Ex Platinum it f****d my brains to make itwork properly and again some modules are loaded with warnings, but hey it's a better sound card. I'm telling you this because accordind to many Audigy2 is not supported by ALSA, but I configured it as an Audigy (they do not share the same chipset)! There's got to be a solution!

Last edited by jnicol; 10-21-2003 at 06:55 AM.
 
Old 10-21-2003, 06:43 AM   #3
yapp
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Distribution: SuSE (before: Gentoo, Slackware)
Posts: 613

Rep: Reputation: 30
I had quite a lot of problems with my onboard audio too. (an VIA AC97 audio chipset) My sound started working after I'd installed a 2.4.21 (or higher) kernel. But I had some random sound/mixer problems now and then, and ALSA didn't work out completely great for me (it had some pro's and con's) However, ALSA is the recommended sound system right now, and the 2.6 kernel uses the new ALSA sound system.

I'm just curious what fails when you try to install the driver? You haven't posted any detais. Do you have your kernel sources installed? Some distributions keep the include files in separate development packages. if you want to install from source, you need these!


Recently I bound a relatively cheap sound-blaster compatible card for 19 euro. (Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI; es1371) And I've noticed that my sound worked a lot better, I hear a lot more bass-tones, and multiple sounds get mixed a lot better. My random freezes when playing 3D games also disappeared. (both happening in Windows XP and Linux) You might want to consider buying such soundcard. btw, onboard sound chips consume your main memory and cpu power.
 
Old 10-21-2003, 06:50 AM   #4
adz
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Debian, FreeBSD
Posts: 1,713

Rep: Reputation: 53
Try doing a modprobe via82cxxx_audio. If you get an error try any of the following:

modprobe i810_audio
modprobe soundcore ac97_codec via82cxxx_audio
modprobe soundcore ac97_codec i810_audio


Or some combination. Soundcore and ac97_codec are meant to be loaded automatically if you specify an appropriate driver modules but I've seen that dependencies are not always loaded well by modprobe.
 
Old 10-21-2003, 10:38 AM   #5
sjhannan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by jnicol
I also have an IT7 MAX2 Abit motherboard, but I haven't experienced any problem with its soundcard (an AC 97 compliant). When I put an Audigy2 Ex Platinum it f****d my brains to make itwork properly and again some modules are loaded with warnings, but hey it's a better sound card. I'm telling you this because accordind to many Audigy2 is not supported by ALSA, but I configured it as an Audigy (they do not share the same chipset)! There's got to be a solution!
I'm confused.....I'm new to all this....

My board is a IC7-G not a IT7, and my chip is a Realtek ALC650, what is a AC 97?????

I'm currently running RH9 =, kernel 2.4.20-8smp. Should I download the 2.6 kernel?
 
Old 10-21-2003, 10:41 AM   #6
sjhannan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by yapp
I had quite a lot of problems with my onboard audio too. (an VIA AC97 audio chipset) My sound started working after I'd installed a 2.4.21 (or higher) kernel. But I had some random sound/mixer problems now and then, and ALSA didn't work out completely great for me (it had some pro's and con's) However, ALSA is the recommended sound system right now, and the 2.6 kernel uses the new ALSA sound system.

I'm just curious what fails when you try to install the driver? You haven't posted any detais. Do you have your kernel sources installed? Some distributions keep the include files in separate development packages. if you want to install from source, you need these!


Recently I bound a relatively cheap sound-blaster compatible card for 19 euro. (Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI; es1371) And I've noticed that my sound worked a lot better, I hear a lot more bass-tones, and multiple sounds get mixed a lot better. My random freezes when playing 3D games also disappeared. (both happening in Windows XP and Linux) You might want to consider buying such soundcard. btw, onboard sound chips consume your main memory and cpu power.
Help....I'm using RH9, you've probably already realised that I'm a newbie!!!

My kernel is 2.4.20-8smp, and I have done a re-compile for my on-board LAN, if this helps. I'm actually at work now, so I cannot provide any more information, but when I follow the instructions I get lots of errors when I use the install command
 
Old 10-22-2003, 04:26 AM   #7
yapp
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Distribution: SuSE (before: Gentoo, Slackware)
Posts: 613

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by sjhannan
I'm confused.....I'm new to all this....

My board is a IC7-G not a IT7, and my chip is a Realtek ALC650, what is a AC 97?????

I'm currently running RH9 =, kernel 2.4.20-8smp. Should I download the 2.6 kernel?
The 2.6 kernel is still in testing fase, and your system needs to be "2.6 ready" before you can actually use it. Don't try to get yourself in a lot of trouble. I'm not even sure there are RPM packages for a 2.6 testing kernel. If you want a performance boost, I could certainly recommend the 2.6 kernel through. Maybe (not sure) you can compare it with upgrading an NT4 kernel to a W2K kernel, without changing the other software; don't expect that all drivers work directly (note: Micrsoft doens't allow these kind of updates through )

AC97 is used by modern sound systems, if I'm not mistaken can be used to send your sound data in a compressed form to the audio devices.
 
Old 10-22-2003, 04:31 AM   #8
yapp
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Distribution: SuSE (before: Gentoo, Slackware)
Posts: 613

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by sjhannan
Help....I'm using RH9, you've probably already realised that I'm a newbie!!!

My kernel is 2.4.20-8smp, and I have done a re-compile for my on-board LAN, if this helps. I'm actually at work now, so I cannot provide any more information, but when I follow the instructions I get lots of errors when I use the install command
It's not bad to be a newbie. But there is something I need to know before I can help you directly:

- what did you do to install the software (what commands, files, and steps)
- what error message did it display? (copy-paste it)

copy-paste is very easy in Linux: select the text with your mouse, and press the middle-mouse button of your mouse somewhere else to paste it. (so please post your message here)

(The remaining part of my post contained of some personal experiences. I hope they are usefull for you too )


There is a cool thing I'd like to let you know: if you get a little familliar with the console, you can controll your machine remotely very easy too. If the ssh service is running, you can use PuTTY.exe in Microsoft Windows to open a ssh connection, and you'll get a remote console.
SSH is some sort encrypted form of telnet, but can also be used to transfer files (via scp or sftp, and WinSCP3.exe), and forward X11 programs to your local X11 display.

Last edited by yapp; 10-22-2003 at 04:37 AM.
 
Old 10-22-2003, 07:07 AM   #9
jnicol
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Glyfada Athens Greece
Distribution: Currently Suse 9
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by sjhannan
I'm confused.....I'm new to all this....

My board is a IC7-G not a IT7, and my chip is a Realtek ALC650, what is a AC 97?????

I'm currently running RH9 =, kernel 2.4.20-8smp. Should I download the 2.6 kernel?
Do not download 2.6 because it is still on experimental phase. Your kernel is just fine!

AC97 is nowadays standard in soundcards.

Realtek ALC650 is an AC97 compliant chipset.
 
Old 10-26-2003, 02:38 PM   #10
sjhannan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by jnicol
Do not download 2.6 because it is still on experimental phase. Your kernel is just fine!

AC97 is nowadays standard in soundcards.

Realtek ALC650 is an AC97 compliant chipset.
I've just upgraded the kernel from 2.4.20-8 to 2.4.22, and the audio now works, automatically detected the intel audio on first load, installed and works fine!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
request for old ATI propietary driver for xorg 6.8 (8.12.10) bobbens Linux - Hardware 1 09-04-2005 05:46 AM
KM400 driver help request ka9qlq Linux - Hardware 0 10-02-2004 09:23 PM
request from every one the anti-riced General 3 04-21-2004 01:37 PM
Request for ATI FGLrx Driver FAQ jpbarto LQ Suggestions & Feedback 2 10-16-2003 02:38 PM
greetings and request portable oxygen Linux - Software 6 10-07-2003 08:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration