Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I am setting up a kiosk for a webroom at my local school. The webroom is supposed to have 20 computers or so.
i've managed to lockdown most everything except for this one issue: Mozilla.
Since kiosk will have the same username, only one instance of Firebird can be run under the "default" profile. If I try to run multiple instances, I get that darned Profile Manager.
I tried using Mozilla 0.9.9 (the latest version that didn't use the Profile Manager) and it worked fine, but Kerberos did not work on it, and Kerberos is an integral part of our campus website. Students are unable to log into the school website using Kerberos.
I've also read the other threads on this issue, and the workaround is to simply make Mozilla open up a new window instead of creating a new instance. But this doesn't work in my situation, as there will be 20 different remote terminals. The "new window" command does not work, as the terminal will not see an instance of mozilla running in the background.
So the way I see it, there are only a few options left for me:
1) Try to get Mozilla 0.9.9 to work with Kerberos
2) Try to disable Firebird 0.7's profile manager
3) Lockdown Konqueror and have it run in a Kiosk mode.
The -f will ensure that the lock will be removed (some systems have rm aliased to rm -i which asks the user whether or not he/she is sure he wants to delete. The -f overrides this).
The sleep 10 (you may want to change this) will allow 10 seconds for Firebird to start and actually create the lock file before deleting it.
The & allows Firebird and the sleep command to run at the same time.
The $* passes any arguments (usually web addresses) to Firebird, as normal.
I would name this script mozilla and put it in /usr/bin or somewhere else in the path. That way when any program calls mozilla (Evolution, for example, when clicking on links in e-mails) that script will be used instead of the original Firebird executable (or Mozilla, if it's on your system). Basically, make sure the script is run when you call mozilla from a shell. It will run without a terminal, and you can create menu entries or shortcuts on the desktop as you would for any other program.
but if I ran the same exact command through the the script that I made, (the one you suggested to me), it still tells me "cannot remove /home/USER/.phoenix/default/xxxxxxxxx.slt/lock; No such file or directory"
I did some tests (make bogus text files) and tried to see if the script would delete those. For example, I would make a text file and place it in the /home/USER/ directory and it would delete just fine.
In fact, the script was able to delete bogus text files in the USER directory, the .phoenix directory, and the default directory. The funny thing is that it has trouble finding files in the xxxxxx.slt directory.
Maybe it has something to do with the read, write, execute permissions. If you are under KDE, click on properties, then find the permissions. Or from the command prompt, you can do "chmod +u:rwx" i think. Hope that helps. It's definetly something small like that though.