LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2006, 06:50 AM   #1
math_physics
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Posts: 22

Rep: Reputation: 15
Unhappy Cygwin/X has problem when running on IBM X32 ThinkPad


I have an IBM ThinkPad X32 , with Microsoft Windows XP installed. Here is the hardware configurations:
CPU 1.7GHz, Memory 256MB, 1000Mbps NIC.

To login into a remote Linux host with XMDCP, I also installed Cygwin/X to this machine. The problem is :

It takes the machine about ten minutes to pass the login screen, almost about ten minutes or even longer. But this process does not take more than 20 second on a desktop machine running Windows2000.

Later I upgrade memory to 512MB, but the problem is still not solved!

Can somebody tell me what is the trouble?

Thank you very much!
 
Old 03-15-2006, 07:57 AM   #2
lm317t
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Distribution: Debian Etch, Slackware 10.2, Ubuntu 6.10, OpenWRT
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 15
This is a generic problem I have seen with cygwin, but if your Windows username has spaces, then cygwin will try to use that name, and this can goof some stuff up in a weird way.
 
Old 03-15-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
math_physics
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Posts: 22

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
But Cygwin/X works well on my desktop machine, with 700M Hz CPU, 128MB memory, and 10Mbps NIC. This machine is running Microsoft Windows 2000.

The login process do not take more than 20 seconds on this desktop machine.

So , I thought there maybe two sides in this problem:

1. Cygwin/X has problem with Windows XP, or
2. Cygwin/X has problem with IBM X32 ThinkPad (Hardware problem).

What do you think about ?

Last edited by math_physics; 03-15-2006 at 09:03 AM.
 
Old 03-15-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
lm317t
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Distribution: Debian Etch, Slackware 10.2, Ubuntu 6.10, OpenWRT
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 15
I use cygwin/X on XP all the time, so its not XP. Hardware is likely not the problem either, b/c I think cygwin/X uses pseudo-drivers. Be sure your windows user name has no spaces, and your DISPLAY env variable is set properly.

Does Xmdcp tunnel the X packets like ssh can? or send them straight to the XP box? I am not familiar with Xmdcp and a quick google turns up a bunch of French pages.

Win2k has no default firewall but WinXP SP2 does I believe. The XP firewall would block non-tunneled, regular X packets, unless you specifically told it not. Even if the all the firewall is opened, you gotta do "xhost +" (unsafe) in cygwin to allow remote X connections to your cygwin/X server.

1. Check if your cygwin/X server works locally by running "export DISPLAY=:0; xterm&", assuming X is running on display :0 (run "startx -- :0" first).
2. See if it works through a tunneled ssh connection to a Linux ssh server.
3. If Xmdcp is non tunneling. its probably XP's firewall, or Norton internet security, or one of the other hundred windows hoops you gotta jump through to run an X server on your WinXP box.
 
Old 03-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
jiml8
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,171

Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
I use cygwin/X on XP - on an IBM A30 laptop, as it happens - every day. What is Xmdcp? I use ssh to tunnel into my Linux server; works well and is quite fast.
 
Old 03-15-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
math_physics
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Posts: 22

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm317t
I use cygwin/X on XP all the time, so its not XP. Hardware is likely not the problem either, b/c I think cygwin/X uses pseudo-drivers. Be sure your windows user name has no spaces, and your DISPLAY env variable is set properly.

Does Xmdcp tunnel the X packets like ssh can? or send them straight to the XP box? I am not familiar with Xmdcp and a quick google turns up a bunch of French pages.

Win2k has no default firewall but WinXP SP2 does I believe. The XP firewall would block non-tunneled, regular X packets, unless you specifically told it not. Even if the all the firewall is opened, you gotta do "xhost +" (unsafe) in cygwin to allow remote X connections to your cygwin/X server.

1. Check if your cygwin/X server works locally by running "export DISPLAY=:0; xterm&", assuming X is running on display :0 (run "startx -- :0" first).
2. See if it works through a tunneled ssh connection to a Linux ssh server.
3. If Xmdcp is non tunneling. its probably XP's firewall, or Norton internet security, or one of the other hundred windows hoops you gotta jump through to run an X server on your WinXP box.

XDMCP is a network protocol to let you to connect to the desktop of a remote linux host.

In fact, the login process does not fail, it just takes a long time. So does the logout process.

I also doubt it is the firewal that makes the trouble; I shut down the firewall and the problem is not solved !

I will try the ways you tell me, and tell you the result later.

Thank you very much.
 
Old 03-15-2006, 08:36 PM   #7
math_physics
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Posts: 22

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml8
I use cygwin/X on XP - on an IBM A30 laptop, as it happens - every day. What is Xmdcp? I use ssh to tunnel into my Linux server; works well and is quite fast.
Yes, my "ssh" also works well and is fast, it is the XDMCP that makes the trouble.

Thank you very much!
 
Old 03-15-2006, 10:48 PM   #8
spooon
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,755

Rep: Reputation: 47
I don't think people use XDMCP to connect remotely very much anymore. SSH's X forwarding is secure and automatically handles the forwarding of the display without user configuration. Do "ssh -Y user@host" when connecting and you can run any X apps and they will use your X server.
 
Old 03-16-2006, 06:48 AM   #9
math_physics
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Posts: 22

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
1. Check if your cygwin/X server works locally by running "export DISPLAY=:0; xterm&", assuming X is running on display :0 (run "startx -- :0" first).
I tried this way on Windows XP. But when I run command "xhost +hostname", I got an error message "xhost: unable to open display".

While, this way works well on my win2k. I can run moziall from the remote host, and it displays on my local screen.

What maybe the problem?

Before this problem is solved, I have to bear suffer from the trouble that XDMCP makes.

Last edited by math_physics; 03-16-2006 at 06:54 AM.
 
Old 03-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #10
lm317t
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Distribution: Debian Etch, Slackware 10.2, Ubuntu 6.10, OpenWRT
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 15
run:
export DISPLAY=:0
startx -- :0
xhost +
If xhost says it cant open the display it is because you have not done these steps in this order.

xhost won't work until your X server is running
 
Old 03-17-2006, 12:26 AM   #11
math_physics
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Posts: 22

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
I did as you told me, but the trouble did not disappear. Later I carefully checked the rules of my firewall, and found I it was the firewall rules that made the trouble. I add a new rule that allow local access to port 1157, then everything is ok!

But the trouble of XDMCP that I mentioned above is still there!
 
Old 03-17-2006, 04:03 AM   #12
dr_te_z
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: Zoetermeer, Holland
Distribution: slackware, debian
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooon
I don't think people use XDMCP to connect remotely very much anymore.
Yup I do. I've installed varyous window-managers and use gdm to choose one when I log in.

Also using X/cygwin on my thinkpad/laptop.
 
Old 03-17-2006, 07:55 PM   #13
math_physics
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Posts: 22

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_te_z
Yup I do. I've installed varyous window-managers and use gdm to choose one when I log in.

Also using X/cygwin on my thinkpad/laptop.
Did you ever get this trouble : when you use gdm, it takes a very long time to log in the remote host?
 
Old 03-20-2006, 04:19 PM   #14
dr_te_z
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: Zoetermeer, Holland
Distribution: slackware, debian
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by math_physics
... it takes a very long time to log in the remote host?
No, not really.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IBM Thinkpad R30 video problem GUIPenguin Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-19-2005 01:39 AM
IBM Thinkpad R50 mic problem nemesix Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 04-17-2005 09:23 AM
IBM Thinkpad network problem MClayton Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 05-24-2004 09:28 AM
installing a Linksys WPC 11 ver 3 in a IBM thinkpad A30 running Redhat 9 sakarsteve Linux - Networking 0 08-29-2003 08:20 AM
got some networking problem on ibm thinkpad x22 neil_yueh Linux - Networking 4 10-27-2002 09:34 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration