Well maybe no one else really tries to compile Qt from source (or at least most are luckier than I
I had to set -I/path/to/includes/mysql and -L/path/to/lib/mysql in order to overcome the problem above.
(when doing ./configure I appended the two paths ... and the first is -I as in includes not an L ... anyway, if you are like me this is ALL new territory)
Then I had another problem. I got an error about a mysql library not being found...looking into the error message I saw that for some reason the library path from above was not being used so I just make a symbolic link to the lib file. I made the symbolic link in the direcory that was being searched (it was the library directory in the source code for QT).
Funky errors. I hope that I can get Myth to run after all of this.