LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   Cannot copy Windows folder with shortcut with Ubuntu (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/cannot-copy-windows-folder-with-shortcut-with-ubuntu-4175443963/)

miros84 01-03-2013 08:20 AM

Cannot copy Windows folder with shortcut with Ubuntu
 
I tried several version of Ubuntu and no one copy windows folders without problems.
Problem is that shortcuts confuse Linux and it tries to copy the same folder infinits times and never finish.

Other words:
When I go to folder: C:/Users/Myuser and click button right and click properties, it never finish calculating the size of thata folder. Thatīs because of the shortcuts.
When I try to copy this folder (copy / paste) it never finish coping that folder. It cannot calculate the size correctly.

Any idea how can I fix that?

teckk 01-03-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

I tried several version of Ubuntu and no one copy windows folders without problems
Linux doesn't have any problem copying folders or the contents of folders.

What are you trying to do?
Do you have something running in wine? Do you have a windows file mgr. running in wine?
Do you have a windows share mounted with samba? Are you using a file manager like dolphin and you are using the fish:// protocol to see shares?
Quote:

When I go to folder: C:/Users/Myuser
That's not a Linux path so I can't tell what you are doing.
Quote:

When I try to copy this folder (copy / paste)
Copy it from where to where? Are you trying to copy the contents of a windows share onto your linux box? Are you dual booting with a windows drive? Do you have a internal windows drive mounted to your linux filesystem?
Quote:

It cannot calculate the size correctly.
Are you trying to get the size of a folder in a windows share?

You'll need to be a whole lot less vague to get an answer.

John VV 01-03-2013 11:06 AM

what version of windows ?
how are you accessing it ?

i have a very seldom used win7 install on an old drive
SUSE auto mounts it
and the user folders in /media/"LongNumber"/Users
that is C:\\Users

copies the MS "links"( shoutcut) just fine

miros84 01-03-2013 12:42 PM

I answare questions:

I boot Ubuntu or Mint from LIVE CD.

Then access windows folder: Of courde not: C:/, but Linux root which is dev/sda1/users/myaccount

I use gnome with Ubuntu - Then I copy a folder User to paste it to un external HDD and I cannot copy that folder never.
I tried Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.10 and Mint 13.
There is no way.

I tried with Fedora 11, un old version I have and with Fedora 11 it works.
Teckk, I think now you can understand me.

haertig 01-03-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miros84 (Post 4862259)
Then access windows folder: Of courde not: C:/, but Linux root which is dev/sda1/users/myaccount

It is unclear how Linux-savvy you are by what you are saying. So please excuse me if I am stating the obvious.

/dev/sda1/user/myaccount will never be accessible like that. First you have to MOUNT /dev/sda1 onto a mountpoint on Linux. That can be whatever you want. For example, do something like this:

mkdir /mnt/my_c_drive
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/my_c_drive

THEN you can access things like /mnt/my_c_drive/user/myaccount

The mount type, which I illustrated as "ntfs-3g" above should be changed to whatever your Windows partition type is. Possible "vfat", depending on how you formatted under Windows.

Quote:

I use gnome with Ubuntu - Then I copy a folder User to paste it to un external HDD and I cannot copy that folder never.
It sounds like you are trying to use some GUI for this, based on your use of the word "paste". Nothing wrong with that, but you will do better trying to copy from the commandline on Linux so you can see any error messages that result.

Also, have you MOUNTED that external hard drive you are trying to copy to? What is it's MOUNTPOINT? Did you mount it using the correct type (e.g., NTFS, VFAT, etc.)?

Quote:

I tried Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.10 and Mint 13.
There is no way.
There IS a way, you're just not doing it correctly. I do it all the time. With many different Linux distros, including both Ubuntu and Mint. For many many years. No problems, ever.

Quote:

I tried with Fedora 11, un old version I have and with Fedora 11 it works.
Teckk, I think now you can understand me.
This leads me to believe that possibly Fedora auto-mounted things for you whereas other distros are not doing that.

Just before you get ready to try a copy using Ubuntu, Mint, etc., from the command line type "mount" and post the results here. Then, if you are trying to copy from the command line, provide the exact command you are running to attempt that copy.

miros84 01-03-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

This leads me to believe that possibly Fedora auto-mounted things for you whereas other distros are not doing that.
No, it is not mount problems. Ubuntu and Mint mount automaticly when you plug an HDD or windows paritions.
I do use gnome interface, copy-paste option, yes.

When I paste the folder users in external HDD, i starts coping information, but never finish. When I do rght click >> Properties, it starts calculating and it gets 200 GB and more, when this folder is only 3,4 GB. It never stop calculating? And that happnend with different version of Linux. Mostly the new ones. Ubuntu 11.10, Mint, etc..
Nobody have a windows partition and can check it?

I I do know the problems are windows shortcuts, because when a delete shorcuts in folder: Users,
then i calculate correctly the size and copy it without problems.

sixysixy 01-03-2013 07:28 PM

Maybe you can do something like:
Code:

cp -Rv /media/source/Users/Myuser/* /media/destination/

John VV 01-03-2013 11:26 PM

it might be a gnome 3 bug ?
in KDE4 I have no issues ( as above) the C:\\users -- AKA - /media/"hex number"/users ---- folder on win 7 copies fine in dolphin

now i do have that drive set to ROOT only RW

Wim Sturkenboom 01-04-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miros84 (Post 4862313)
No, it is not mount problems. Ubuntu and Mint mount automaticly when you plug an HDD or windows paritions.
I do use gnome interface, copy-paste option, yes.

Ubuntu does not automatically mount internal disks (at least not up to 12.04).
Quote:

Originally Posted by miros84 (Post 4862313)
When I paste the folder users in external HDD, i starts coping information, but never finish. When I do rght click >> Properties, it starts calculating and it gets 200 GB and more, when this folder is only 3,4 GB. It never stop calculating? And that happnend with different version of Linux. Mostly the new ones. Ubuntu 11.10, Mint, etc..
Nobody have a windows partition and can check it?

I can not simulate your problem in Ubuntu; what do you right click? If I right click my 'Win7 partition' ad select properties, it tells me 36GB used, 226GB free. If I open the partition by clicking (under devices) and navigate to users and rightclick -> properties on my username, it calculates 1.2GB and 226GB free.

Code:

wim@i3-2120:~$ ls -l /media/Win7/Users/Wim/Documents/
total 13
-rw------- 2 wim wim    0 Jan  4 20:15 abc..txt
-rw------- 2 wim wim 5066 Jan  4 20:15 abc..txt - Shortcut.lnk
-rw------- 1 wim wim  402 Oct 15 20:56 desktop.ini
-rw------- 2 wim wim  723 Jan  4 20:24 documents_wim.lnk
lrwxrwxrwx 2 wim wim  100 Sep  1 17:30 My Music -> /media/Win7/Users/Wim/Music
lrwxrwxrwx 2 wim wim  112 Sep  1 17:30 My Pictures -> /media/Win7/Users/Wim/Pictures
lrwxrwxrwx 2 wim wim  104 Sep  1 17:30 My Videos -> /media/Win7/Users/Wim/Videos

The lnk files are shortcuts, documents_wim.lnk to a folder on another NTFS partition

Quote:

Originally Posted by miros84 (Post 4862313)
I I do know the problems are windows shortcuts, because when a delete shorcuts in folder: Users,
then i calculate correctly the size and copy it without problems.

When I copy to a FAT memory stick (using Nautilus), the only message I get is that "filesystem does not support symbolic links" but I think that nautilus tries to be too clever; I mean, what are symbolic links doing on a NTFS partition (and no, I did not create them).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 PM.