Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I am running Redhat 9 and had just finished running up2date. I had not updated for a couple months so there were quite a few updates. After the process finished it was successful and I decided to reboot. When the machine came back up X didn't want to start correctly so I deleted the XF86Configure file and created a new one and that solved that problem, not sure if that is related. Now, for the real problem. I noticed through my samba share and later through Kdiskfree and df that my / partition is at 100% use. I was on my windows box, so through the samba share I deleted several large files in my home folder and potentially freed up .5 Gb. The problem is that no free space has been reallocated. df still shows 100% used. I started the system in single user mode and unmounted the drives, then ran a fsck. This found no errors. I also looked in lost+found just in case something had appeared in there. I have deleted files from the linux box and with df it seems the used space decreases but the available never changes from 0.
i'd suggest using "du -h / --max-depth=1". this will give a single level list of how much space is being used by each directory, you can then track the unneeded files down easily enough. i'd guess it was somethign inside /var...
Thanks for the tip, that helped me find some junk that I did not know was on there. I deleted a couple of gigs and then did a df. Now it shows free space again, I guess it takes more than a couple hundred megs before it shows available space for some reason.