LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
scorpioofthewoods
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Distribution: Fedora & Ubuntu
Posts: 213
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 20
CAD Programs


I was looking around in the Ubuntu repositories for CAD programs and saw three: Qcad, Pythoncad, & Sagcad. I was wondering if anyone has used any of these and could share their opinions on them. Is anyone better than the others? Or are there any other free programs that might be better?

Last edited by scorpioofthewoods; 02-16-2007 at 11:41 AM.
 
Old 02-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
pljvaldez
Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere on the String
Distribution: Debian Squeeze (x86)
Posts: 6,092

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
I have only used QCad. Last time I tried was a little over a year ago. It seemed okay as an AutoCAD Lite type of replacement, but IIRC wasn't 3D capable. At work I use Solidworks and would like to switch to all linux, but until there's a good (and cheap) Solidworks replacement, I'm outta luck.

I've used ProE in the past on linux, but last time I checked on pricing it was like $10k per seat/year...
 
Old 02-16-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
bigrigdriver
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Jul 2002
Location: East Centra Illinois, USA
Distribution: Debian Squeeze
Posts: 5,740

Rep: Reputation: 298Reputation: 298Reputation: 298
You might take a look at GraphietOne CAD for Linux (2d and 3d capable; commercial license for commercial use; free for non-commercial use).
 
Old 02-16-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
Marsolin
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Posts: 124

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pljvaldez
I have only used QCad. Last time I tried was a little over a year ago. It seemed okay as an AutoCAD Lite type of replacement, but IIRC wasn't 3D capable. At work I use Solidworks and would like to switch to all linux, but until there's a good (and cheap) Solidworks replacement, I'm outta luck.

I've used ProE in the past on linux, but last time I checked on pricing it was like $10k per seat/year...
You should give FreeCAD and VARKON a look. I'm not sure how much of Solidworks functionality they have, but both are targeted at the same area and are free.

scorpioofthewoods,

Some other options include ARCAD, CYCAS, LinuxCAD, and VariCAD. The last two are non-free. I haven't done any CAD work in a while, but QCad looks like a good one to start with.
 
Old 02-17-2007, 07:20 AM   #5
muddywaters
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Distribution: mostly mepis
Posts: 427

Rep: Reputation: 30
bigrigdriver

Have you used GraphiteOne? Had a look at the homepage and found an rpm for Suse. Trying to find an honest review to decide if a debian install is worth the effort.

edit/Installing was less painful than expected. Initial impression? Bears some resemblance to Mastercam Design (that's a good thing). Haven't used it enough to share a real review.

Last edited by muddywaters; 02-17-2007 at 05:10 PM.
 
Old 02-19-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
scorpioofthewoods
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Distribution: Fedora & Ubuntu
Posts: 213
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 20
Thank you, everyone. It would be great to find something like Solidworks but I did not expect to find something with such 3D functionality at low or no cost. It is not really necessary for what I am wanting to do at home right now, but it would be great to have or atleast know that such programs are out there if they are needed in the future.

I came across BlenderCAD in a search, but nothing seems to have been done with it since 2004. Does anyone know whatever became of this project?
 
Old 02-19-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
Marsolin
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Posts: 124

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioofthewoods
Thank you, everyone. It would be great to find something like Solidworks but I did not expect to find something with such 3D functionality at low or no cost. It is not really necessary for what I am wanting to do at home right now, but it would be great to have or atleast know that such programs are out there if they are needed in the future.

I came across BlenderCAD in a search, but nothing seems to have been done with it since 2004. Does anyone know whatever became of this project?
Blender is a great 3D modeler that is very much in development. BlenderCAD is just a script that adds CAD functionality to it.

This page has some references to it through the end of 2005. And here is a link to a file created last Wednesday.
 
Old 02-20-2007, 07:06 AM   #8
scorpioofthewoods
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Distribution: Fedora & Ubuntu
Posts: 213
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsolin
Blender is a great 3D modeler that is very much in development. BlenderCAD is just a script that adds CAD functionality to it.

This page has some references to it through the end of 2005. And here is a link to a file created last Wednesday.
Thank you. I guess I did not search enough. Have you used BlenderCAD? Is it any good. I have seen that Blender is suppose to be a really good 3D modeler, so I thought it might be nice if it was blended with CAD.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Cad Programs jonnylinuxb Linux - Software 3 04-05-2006 06:48 PM
What CAD programs are there? Reisu Linux - Software 2 03-17-2006 07:31 AM
Looking for a CAD viewer gulo Linux - Software 6 07-02-2004 12:23 PM
Linux CAD? gulo Linux - Software 12 03-09-2004 02:35 PM
Any CAD programs for Linux? Eits0 Linux - Software 5 05-14-2002 05:31 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration