LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #1
Cinematography
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Distribution: openSUSE 13.1
Posts: 357

Rep: Reputation: 31
Associating .exe files with Wine


I made a mistake somewhere and now my .exe files will no longer open with Wine. I tried right clicking an .exe file, looking through that list, etc-etc, but I couldn't find anything that said "Wine". I did find a lot of Wine utilities, but I couldn't find Wine the program. Could someone please point me in the right direction?
 
Old 05-03-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
jonaskoelker
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Denmark
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian
Posts: 1,524

Rep: Reputation: 46
I'd be delighted to help. So, let me first check that I'm solving the right problem the wrong way

previous cause-effect:
you open (a parallel to explorer.exe), find your exe, double-click it, wine start.

now:
(the same), dbl-click, (not the right thing) happens.

desired: as per the previous part.

correct?

well, GNU/Linux systems aren't as monolithic as windows. In this case, it shows in that there's no canonical place(*) where you hold the association between `.exe' and `wine'. If you're using nautilus (a piece of Gnome), most likely you'll have to frob *that*; if you use konqueror (sp?) (the KDE thing) et al., you'll have to frob *that*.

So it all comes down to what program used to have that association (which you haven't told us).

(*) allright, I lied. There *is* a canonical place for `.foo-files' -> `program bar' associations. It's /etc/magic (man magic) and/or /usr/share/misc/file/magic (on my box). I have tried to find out how GNU/Linux decides how to open ELF binaries, but I haven't succeeded (so gurus, please enlighten me ). If you're interested in saying $ ./foo.exe (that is, run dos programs from the (GNU/Linux)/bash command line), you might want to look into this.

hth --Jonas
 
Old 05-03-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
Cinematography
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Distribution: openSUSE 13.1
Posts: 357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 31
I want my .exe files to open with Wine by default. By trying to change the icon to something, I messed up the association. My .exe files are no longer associated with Wine, and I can't find Wine in my programs list anywhere to restore the association.
 
Old 05-03-2005, 06:22 PM   #4
Komakino
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Somerset, England
Distribution: Slackware 10.2, Slackware 10.0, Ubuntu 9.10
Posts: 1,938

Rep: Reputation: 53
If you're using a 2.6 kernel, there is something called miscelaneous binary format. A description is in the kernel source, somewhere under documentation called something like binfmt_misc.txt
It allows you to register a certain program to open files of a certain extension. So for example you can have it so that clicking a java class file will automatically call the JVM (likewise a jar file), or so typing ./file.exe will automatically start wine or dosbox (depending on preference).
Search around for miscelaneous binaries.
 
Old 05-03-2005, 07:28 PM   #5
Cinematography
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Distribution: openSUSE 13.1
Posts: 357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally posted by Komakino
If you're using a 2.6 kernel, there is something called miscelaneous binary format. A description is in the kernel source, somewhere under documentation called something like binfmt_misc.txt
It allows you to register a certain program to open files of a certain extension. So for example you can have it so that clicking a java class file will automatically call the JVM (likewise a jar file), or so typing ./file.exe will automatically start wine or dosbox (depending on preference).
Search around for miscelaneous binaries.
I am not a programmer though. I was barely able to understand what you just said.
 
Old 05-04-2005, 05:34 AM   #6
jonaskoelker
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Denmark
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian
Posts: 1,524

Rep: Reputation: 46
okay, assuming you use Gnome and nautilus (you still didn't tell us):

1) find any .exe file (in nautilus).
2) right-click it
3) select `other application'
4) type the path to wine (/usr/bin/wine in my case; open a shell and say `which wine' if you don't know)
5) press `open' (or whatever the `ok'-notion-button is called).
6) it should work (did for me).

hth --Jonas
 
Old 05-04-2005, 12:17 PM   #7
Komakino
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Somerset, England
Distribution: Slackware 10.2, Slackware 10.0, Ubuntu 9.10
Posts: 1,938

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally posted by Cinematography
I am not a programmer though. I was barely able to understand what you just said.
You don't have to be a programmer, it doesn't involve any programming.
Search for the file binfmt_misc.txt in your kernel source.
 
Old 05-04-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
Cinematography
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Distribution: openSUSE 13.1
Posts: 357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally posted by jonaskoelker
okay, assuming you use Gnome and nautilus (you still didn't tell us):

1) find any .exe file (in nautilus).
2) right-click it
3) select `other application'
4) type the path to wine (/usr/bin/wine in my case; open a shell and say `which wine' if you don't know)
5) press `open' (or whatever the `ok'-notion-button is called).
6) it should work (did for me).

hth --Jonas
YES!!! That worked!!! Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally posted by Komakino
You don't have to be a programmer, it doesn't involve any programming.
Search for the file binfmt_misc.txt in your kernel source.
I don't even know what a "kernel source" is, but thank you anyhow.
 
Old 05-04-2005, 07:08 PM   #9
jonaskoelker
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Denmark
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian
Posts: 1,524

Rep: Reputation: 46
yw.

suggestion: read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

--Jonas
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Associating .exe files with Wine Cinematography Linux - Software 1 05-04-2005 07:38 AM
Help accessing WINE-Installed exe files I_M_Tired_Of_XP Linux - Software 1 04-29-2005 05:22 AM
Wine and .exe-files ?! irrlichterum Linux - Software 4 04-17-2005 04:18 PM
Where does Wine install my .exe files? KidMW14 Linux - Newbie 5 03-11-2004 10:20 AM
WINE and .exe files evilmonkey Linux - Newbie 7 06-22-2003 12:19 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration