Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I've had this problem for a while now. I have a x86 Debian Sarge install with XFree86 4.3.0. If I use Firefox (1.5) and visit a site with Asian fonts, the characters that I assume are Chinese characters show up as square boxes with 4 letters/numbers inside of them, 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. If this doesn't make any sense, here is a small screenshot of what I see:
I've just used Debian's 'aptitude' and installed every xfont package that looked like it would contain Asian fonts, but I'm still seeing those boxes. I even exited my X windows session and they are still there.
I'm also seeing these on Amazon's site as well. I did a 'view source' and found this little block of code:
<b class="price">$26.37</b>   </span>
I did a Google search and found (http://www.tntluoma.com/sidebars/codes/) that says the 8194 is a special html code for 'en space'. This page shows examples of other special characters, which all display fine in my browser, except for these 'en space' codes which still show up as blocks.
Does this give anyone a clue as to what I might be missing?
well, the thing is, I don't think firefox is doing the correct encoding for viewing, or it may be but you don't have any unicode fonts. A couple of things to try, is to try those pages with other browsers. Try that google cache page with firefox again, but manually set the encoding to UTF-8 and see if it comes up good. If it doesn't, then it's a font problem. If it does come up good, then it's a browser issue. X fonts, from my knowledge aren't unicode fonts, so you can install all the X fonts you want, but it's not going to help the problem.
Unfortunately, all the URLs where I got my fonts are gone now. I'm packaging it up and it's uploading to my host right now, but it's a 29 MB upload. I'll post a link to those fonts when it's done uploading.
Also, If you have access to MS word, copy the fonts in windows and install them in your linux box as MS Office will install unicode fonts.