Be glad to help if I can. The stuff in here should get you up and running, but you will soon be asking "WHY" is the setup configured this way and for that, grasshopper, you need a linux guru whose knowledge is such that I am (currently) unworthy to tie their shoelaces.
Can I assume before we start that you have done the mandrake install and you have a machine up and running with at least enough of a network to be able to ping 'localhost' or 'localhost.localdomain' from a gnome-terminal window or similar, even if you are not physically connected to the 'net. (If not there's a bit of groundwork needed!)
OK then, my machine here is inside a firewall so you won't be able to see it yourself, but it's IP address on my internal network is 192.168.0.7 and its hostname is ace.velvetwood.co.uk. I have done a pretty standard mandrake linux 9.2 download edition install, except that I chose the 'select individual package' option during the install process and I opted to add the apache2-mod-php items along with apache2-mod-ssl (which I think was already preselected) under the Server => Web/Ftp menu item during the install process.
My main http configuration files are under /etc/httpd/2.0/conf but I don't think I have edited ANYTHING in that directory yet.
The webserver files themselves are in the /var/www heirarchy with the main file appearing to be the index.shtml file in /var/www/html.
With the installation finished and the machine rebooted, I was pleased to see the Mandrake Control Centre (Configuration -> Configure Your Computer) come up. From there under "Network And Internet" the "Drakconnect" icon allowed me to check that my machine was configured the way I wanted it. In the "System" window the "DrakServices" icon showed me that the httpd service was running. Excellent !
Among the applets / icons on the bottom of the screen, there was one called 'galeon' which brought up the galeon browser. By default this opens a "file:///" destination but it was easily persuaded to open http://ace.velvetwood.co.uk (the non-secure welcome page), which of course you won't be able to see as it's inside my firewall
So far, so good.
By now I'd already read a lot about ssl from the mod-ssl webpages and google searching, so I had an inkling of what to look for, but mandrake didn't make it easy to find. Eventually I tracked down a directory /etc/ssl which had two subdirectories "apache" and "webmin"
The apache subdirectory had a README file that told me to run a shell script to create my own certificates. Sounded fine to me but before I did so, I tried a few tests.
I went back to the galeon browser and tried to open "https://ace.velvetwood.co.uk", in other words, to see whether anything was already there. I quickly saw an alert message telling me the ssl certificate for this site was issued by "localhost.gobbledegook". Interesting, I thought. Do you get the same message ? If so. you're quids in. if not, you've got some work to do to get there.
With this already set up, I opened a gnome-terminal window, "su'd" to root, and went to the /etc/ssl/apache directory. In there I renamed the server.key and server.crt files found there to something like server.snakeoil.key and server.snakeoil.crt respectively (a naming convention I once saw in a slackware build).
Then whilst still logged in as root I ran the shell script referred to in the readme from the /etc/ssl/apache subdirectory.
I was asked a load of questions and presto a new server.key and server.crt were created.
Using the Mandrake Control Centre DrakServices utility I stopped and restarted the httpd server and with trepidation tried to open "https://ace.velvetwood.co.uk" in a new browser. An alert window just like the last told me to examine the certificate, which was now issued by 'ace.velvetwood.co.uk' and sure enough all the stuff I'd entered in the script was there.
I accepted the certificate and there was my welcome screen, bit with the padlock icon. Yippee !
Two "words of warning".
First, the shell script does not set a pass phrase for the server key. If you read the mod-ssl website documentation, it will explain why this may not be a good idea. The reason is that the Mandrake Control Centre (and for that matter the fedora equivalent) seem unable to handle the processing of a request for a pass phrase and will return an error message. Workrounds for this are documented in this site and others.
Second, you can install this certificate in a galeon/mozilla/netscape browser and it will use it again without complaint if you rewturn to the site in a new window on another occasion. However, Internet Explorer / Windoze will not. No matter how many times you tell Internet Explorer to install the certificate in the "Trusted Root Certificate Authorities" store, it won't, it will put it in the "Intermediate Authorities" store and you'll get a complaint every time.
In stark contrast, my server https://velvetwood.co.uk
used to run redhat 9 and currently runs fedora core 1. The self-signed ssl certificate on THAT machine, created by a "make testcert" command, CAN be put in the root certificate store in Windoze IE6.
I am currently trying to understand why this happens. When I do I guess it will be time for me to apply for the next level of "linux guruness" !
I hope this helps you get a system working