Thanks, I'll try that.
I'd still like to try to fix Amarok though, it be a shame to lose it. It's a great program, glitches aside.
After some work with Amarok's configuration directory, I've fixed it (for now). What I did was to go into the .kde/share/apps/amarok/ directory and delete the 'collection.db' file. (I have zero experience with SQLite, but I assume that 'collection.db' is an SQLite file.) I haven't noticed anything missing but, just in case, I made a backup copy of the amarok/ directory. So, to sum it up:
$ cd .kde/share/apps/
$ cp -R amarok amarok_backup
$ cd amarok
$ rm collection.db
Then restart Amarok and let it begin rebuilding the collection (which shouldn't require any input).
EDIT II: THE RETURN:
The above fix worked for one
transfer, then conked out again. I finally fixed it, so far for good, by compiling
amarok, as opposed to my previous (binary) install method (Arch Linux's 'pacman' system). I removed amarok ($ pacman -R amarok-base
), then used Arch Linux's ABS system to cleanly install it (with trivial modifications to the PKGBUILD file, since I didn't need extras like libvisual or libgpod support). A hearty 'good luck' to you if you run into this problem.