LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
baldurpet
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Iceland
Distribution: Ubuntu, freeBSD
Posts: 110

Rep: Reputation: 15
A pop-up terminal for the panel


Is there a terminal which you can have in the panel, so that when you click it's icon the terminal pops up?

I'm thinking about something akin to the AWN Manager, it has a terminal which pops up (you can see a picture of it here), only something which can be used in the panel as I don't really like the AWN Manager.

I know about Tilda, and I've been using it for some time now- but I prefer the look of the AWN-terminal like in the picture if anyone knows how to get a similar effect (it doesn't necessarily need to be in the panel, really) please share
 
Old 01-17-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
jdkaye
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 4,469

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi Baldurpet,
I'm not sure I understand your question. On your panel, can't you add any app or applet that you want? I use KDE and I just add my favourite terminal which is konsole to my panel (if I right-click on the panel, a menu appears with an item "Add application to panel". I just give it the info needed and I have another icon on the panel that points to konsole. Am I missing something here? I assume you can add whatever you want to your panel, no?
cheers,
jdk
 
Old 01-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
DragonSlayer48DX
Registered User
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,454
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
Hi Baldurpet,
I'm not sure I understand your question. On your panel, can't you add any app or applet that you want? I use KDE and I just add my favourite terminal which is konsole to my panel (if I right-click on the panel, a menu appears with an item "Add application to panel". I just give it the info needed and I have another icon on the panel that points to konsole. Am I missing something here? I assume you can add whatever you want to your panel, no?
cheers,
jdk
Yes, that does also work with Gnome, except:

Find the terminal (or any other app) in the Applications menu. Right-click the icon, then select Add This Launcher to Panel. Once it's been added, you can right-click the icon to move it wherever you want and lock it to the panel.

Hope this helps

Last edited by DragonSlayer48DX; 01-17-2009 at 07:15 AM.
 
Old 01-21-2009, 05:02 AM   #4
baldurpet
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Iceland
Distribution: Ubuntu, freeBSD
Posts: 110

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonslayer48dx View Post
Yes, that does also work with Gnome, except:

Find the terminal (or any other app) in the Applications menu. Right-click the icon, then select Add This Launcher to Panel. Once it's been added, you can right-click the icon to move it wherever you want and lock it to the panel.

Hope this helps
I fear that I'm being misunderstood.
I'm looking for a terminal which pops down like can be seen on the picture I enclosed.

I know how to add a launcher to the panel, but I was wondering whether there's a terminal which sort of "drops down" and when left idle or clicked would "go back up", leaving it's content intact.
 
Old 01-21-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
craigevil
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: OZ
Distribution: Debian Sid
Posts: 4,732
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 455Reputation: 455Reputation: 455Reputation: 455Reputation: 455
yakuake pops down from the top with a simple F12, not quite the same as popping up from the panel.
 
Old 01-22-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
jdkaye
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 4,469

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldurpet View Post
I fear that I'm being misunderstood.
I'm looking for a terminal which pops down like can be seen on the picture I enclosed.
Again, on KDE you can get that effect (or sort of, if I understand you) on any open window by double-clicking on the window bar at the top of the window. The window just collapses to a long strip (the width of the original window). Passing the cursor over the strip causes the window to "pop open". Is that what you mean? You turn off the effect by double-clicking again on the window bar. As I said you can do this with any window in KDE.

Cheers,
jdk
 
  


Reply

Tags
awn, panel, popup, terminal


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Yakuake yet another pop-up terminal LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-17-2008 12:50 AM
customize pop up menu for task bar panel Mr.J Ubuntu 0 07-04-2008 11:40 AM
Terminal Messaging - POP-Ups? tracer Linux - Networking 1 04-29-2006 07:03 PM
Panel-like terminal app? Tylerious Linux - Software 3 12-06-2005 04:38 AM
Is there a way to get a 'new terminal' button on the panel? Tyir Linux - General 4 11-02-2003 12:21 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration