Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I setup Red Hat 7.0 with Apache, and SendMail. I actually had no problems
with it, but wanted to upgrade to 7.1. So I booted from the 7.1 install
CD's and chose "upgrade". I assumed that it would upgrade the software
without touching my configuration files. This does not seem to be the case.
The upgrade seemed to go fine, but suddenly you could not access the server
from the net. I have my ISP providing name services (so its not a bind
issue), and before upgrading I was able to access my websites, as well as my
users, and use email without a problem. Now, everything is offline, except
the web pages are accessible via the lan using my domain name.
I'm fairly new to Linux, and I use Webmin and the Gnome configuration tools
as well as Linuxconf to edit my network config files. They appear to be
correct but I feel there is still a configuration problem somewhere.
Has anyone else experienced this problem? Where else should I be looking
for config problems? Any ideas or help on this would be appreciated as I
really don't want to re initialize under 7.0.
Good idea, but I looked in the firewall config, and there doesn't seem to be anything set at all. So I'm thinking there is no firewall.
I'm guessing it could be in the xinetd file, but I'm not sure how to resolve it. Also, that doesn't explain (I don't think) why I'm not getting out on the net at all. I launch a browser and it doesn't see any name server. Again, nothing has changed since all of my services were working except that I upgraded to 7.1.
I'm seriously considering rolling back to 7.0. All of the information in the texts that I have seems to work well with that version. And I'm finding 7.1 frustrating to work with. I hate to be two versions behind, but I have to go with what I can use. Thanks.
I'm using Speakeasy for DSL service. Frankly I just reinstalled RH 7.0 and have had no problems. My servers are up and running and I'm experiencing no conflicts.
I can't imagine whats different, but there must be some configuration issue here with 7.1. Anyway, I've got 7.0 up again, and I'm going to stick with it until I can figure out what the problem is when I install 7.1. Its probably something simple, but its eluding me at this point. Thanks anyway.