LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
hamsterpower7
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy [NOT YET SOLVED]Installing mint from live usb getting black screen after menu


Hi
I am new to linux and I have been trying to install it through my usb key. I first used universal usb and downloaded the latest version of linux mint cinnamon 64bit iso file(my laptop is 64bit)
I have also partitioned 50gb as unallocated.
I rebooted my computer after that and through BIOS (tried both F1 and F12) I tried to open my usb. It seems like I was okay as it showed the menu between
linux mint
linux mint(compatiability mode)
and so and so...

However, when I choose linux mint and hit enter, I would go into forever blank/black screen

The same method works on my older laptop.
my current laptop that is having the problem is lenovo t430 with intel hd 4000(not sure if that makes any difference)
I have used 4 different usbs and different distros in attempt of troubleshooting. No luck so far....

One thing that my friend mentioned is that my linux mint menu looks like grub menu (not sure about it...) and sometimes my usb won't let it start at all if I use a different distro such as puppylinux.

Is this is a hardware or software problem? I don't want to format my disk drive I just got my new windows 8

any help would be grateful
Thanks

Last edited by hamsterpower7; 11-28-2012 at 12:01 PM.
 
Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
RockDoctor
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Minnesota, US
Distribution: Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 1,175

Rep: Reputation: 219Reputation: 219Reputation: 219
Does the USB stick have an LED on the tail end?
If it does, does the LED continue to flash even though your screen stays black?

Can you install the 32-bit version? I've got a Dell desktop with a 64-bit AMD chip that won't run any 64-bit Linux I've tried on it, but has no problems running 32-bit Linux.
 
Old 11-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
yancek
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Ubuntu, Slackware
Posts: 4,140

Rep: Reputation: 622Reputation: 622Reputation: 622Reputation: 622Reputation: 622Reputation: 622
On what system or distribution of Linux (?) are you using the "universal usb". I've not used it so is it supposed to create a bootable flash drive? The two most likely scenarios are that the creation of a bootable flash drive failed or there is a problem with a graphics card although it is possible it is something else. I'm not clear about whether you have tried these specific flash drives and had them boot on another computer, have you?

Quote:
One thing that my friend mentioned is that my linux mint menu looks like grub menu (not sure about it...) and sometimes my usb won't let it start at all if I use a different distro such as puppylinux.
Mint uses isolinux so that's the menu you see although you could manually configure Grub. I don't understand the second part of that statement?
 
Old 11-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
hamsterpower7
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
On what system or distribution of Linux (?) are you using the "universal usb". I've not used it so is it supposed to create a bootable flash drive? The two most likely scenarios are that the creation of a bootable flash drive failed or there is a problem with a graphics card although it is possible it is something else. I'm not clear about whether you have tried these specific flash drives and had them boot on another computer, have you?



Mint uses isolinux so that's the menu you see although you could manually configure Grub. I don't understand the second part of that statement?
Thanks for the reply

Yes I have tried the same usb on my older laptop and another friend's laptop as well. It works fine there.


The linux distro I downloaded
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=118
Live usb maker
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/

I don't think my flash drive failed as it works fine on other computers..

And as for my second statement: I have tried ubuntu, puppylinux and archlinux. I think ubuntu showed me the menu like mint but puppylinux and archlinux didn't even let me boot the usb. It would flash once and return me to the same BIOS screen.

Last edited by hamsterpower7; 11-28-2012 at 11:50 AM.
 
Old 11-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
hamsterpower7
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDoctor View Post
Does the USB stick have an LED on the tail end?
If it does, does the LED continue to flash even though your screen stays black?

Can you install the 32-bit version? I've got a Dell desktop with a 64-bit AMD chip that won't run any 64-bit Linux I've tried on it, but has no problems running 32-bit Linux.
thanks for the reply

Nope that was not the problem
If I change it to 32 bit it won't even let me boot from usb just like puppylinux did. At least that explains why puppylinux didn't work

What about the led flashing? Mine wasn't
 
Old 11-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
RockDoctor
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Minnesota, US
Distribution: Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 1,175

Rep: Reputation: 219Reputation: 219Reputation: 219
Re the LED flashing: I was just wondering if there was any sign of activity. Some of my USB stick have LEDs in the rear, others don't.

Grasping at straws here, maybe it's a syslinux thing causing the problem. Doubtful, but I'm running out of reasonable ideas, so...
You might want to try this:
Download a Fedora live CD
Use dd to copy the iso file to the USB key
See if the USB key will boot.
Fedora is my primary OS, and this is the method I typically use to create a bootable installation medium. My most recent experience is with the F18 LXDE spin nightly compose of Nov 24
 
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
hamsterpower7
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDoctor View Post
Re the LED flashing: I was just wondering if there was any sign of activity. Some of my USB stick have LEDs in the rear, others don't.

Grasping at straws here, maybe it's a syslinux thing causing the problem. Doubtful, but I'm running out of reasonable ideas, so...
You might want to try this:
Download a Fedora live CD
Use dd to copy the iso file to the USB key
See if the USB key will boot.
Fedora is my primary OS, and this is the method I typically use to create a bootable installation medium. My most recent experience is with the F18 LXDE spin nightly compose of Nov 24
Thanks a lot for suggesting stuff..

ya my led doesn't flicker and my computer lights that use to flicker stops...so it seems like the computer freezes after I attempt to boot up usb
I can't to ctrl+alt+del so I had to hold down power button to turn it off.
do you think this is a hardware issue?
When I went to the lenovo's business partner to have my computer checked up, they are saying it is most likely a software issue and that I should wait until the linux catches up to my laptop...
Which makes no sense because I know people with t430 can use linux....
The guy added that if I want to have a further look i need to pay him $30/hour.

I have no clue...do you think this is hardware or software? I mean computer can freeze up from software issues right?
Does that mean I have to wait for like a year so that linux can make something that is compatiable with my computer?
 
Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
yancek
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Ubuntu, Slackware
Posts: 4,140

Rep: Reputation: 622Reputation: 622Reputation: 622Reputation: 622Reputation: 622Reputation: 622
Quote:
I mean computer can freeze up from software issues right?
Yes. A little googling indicates this computer is fairly new so not having drivers or other software for Linux might be the problem. You might start another thread about the problem with the computer name in the title so that if someone has got Linux working would see the thread.
 
Old 11-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
hamsterpower7
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
Yes. A little googling indicates this computer is fairly new so not having drivers or other software for Linux might be the problem. You might start another thread about the problem with the computer name in the title so that if someone has got Linux working would see the thread.
It seems like t430 should be quite fine http://www.linlap.com/lenovo_thinkpad_t430

now I am just out of ideas...*sigh

Thanks for all the help though, I really appreciate it. If anyone else has any ideas I would be very happy to know
 
Old 12-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
hamsterpower7
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
bump

I haven't given up yet
 
Old 12-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
colorpurple21859
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: florida
Distribution: slackware64-current, puppy, ubuntu
Posts: 1,299

Rep: Reputation: 180Reputation: 180
Have you tried using the
Code:
nomodeset
option at the grub kernel/linux line
 
Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
hamsterpower7
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorpurple21859 View Post
Have you tried using the
Code:
nomodeset
option at the grub kernel/linux line
yes I have...but it will still give my blank/black screen after setting it to nomodeset and pressing f10
 
Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
jefro
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,246

Rep: Reputation: 1255Reputation: 1255Reputation: 1255Reputation: 1255Reputation: 1255Reputation: 1255Reputation: 1255Reputation: 1255Reputation: 1255
Borrow a usb dvd player. Make and test the dvd and try to install it.

Boot to a dvd on a test system that doesn't have a hard drive. Then just before you run the mint installer, insert this usb drive. Then create the install to the usb drive. See if that now can be returned to subject system. Do full power down, boot to bios and move the hard drive (not boot device order) boot order up from internal to the found usb drive.

Try a different distro.

Did you test the iso download?

Does the initial screen have memtest? Try it.

Can you use ctrl + 1 key to access terminal?

Just because the usb works on a different system doesn't prove it is good.


You can consider using a free virtual machine also.


I think the Intel video ought to be supported. My guess is that the system is not able to access the data because it is looking at the wrong drive.
 
Old 12-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
hamsterpower7
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I couldn't do everything you have suggested but I tried to burn it on cd. Same problem.
I am starting to think that it not a software problem?
I am super frustrated....................arrrararararararaargh
 
Old 12-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #15
hamsterpower7
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I can't even install it within windows 8
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blank screen regardless of distro or Live CD or live USB...newGateway Laptop :( why? wj76 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 30 05-28-2012 11:01 PM
[SOLVED] Linux Mint 12: Blank black screen after pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1, possibly larger issue Xirapt Linux - Newbie 1 12-28-2011 01:16 AM
After installing linux mint, all I get is a black screen after login Jefffan24 Linux Mint 3 08-16-2009 09:25 PM
After installing linux mint, all I get is a black screen after login Jefffan24 Linux - Newbie 1 08-14-2009 04:01 PM
Black screen while installing on Ubuntu/Mint with ATI Radeon HD4670 Existence. Ubuntu 3 02-17-2009 09:15 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration