LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   [Evolution] Save images from html-mail (Dilbert) (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/%5Bevolution%5D-save-images-from-html-mail-dilbert-513633/)

senorsnor 12-25-2006 06:34 PM

[Evolution] Save images from html-mail (Dilbert)
 
Hi all, I receive a daily Dilbert-comic from comics.com. This is sent as an html email, and the image is linked to with an "<img src="http://www.comics.com/blablabla">"=tag.

Now I want to save the image but with evolution, I can't find out how to do that. Whenever I right-click on the message, the only options I get are Reply, Forward, Save As, Print and Convert to Task.

Of course it's possible to save the mail, parse the correct img-tag and wget it, but Thunderbird can save the image just fine, so I figure Evolution should be able to do that as well?

ScooterB 12-26-2006 08:47 AM

Open the messaage, put your cousor over the image and then right-click. It should come up then as "save as".

senorsnor 12-26-2006 01:09 PM

"Save As" saves the whole email, not just the image ...

archtoad6 12-26-2006 03:04 PM

If you right (alternate) click on the image itself, is there a "Save image as" option?

ScooterB 12-26-2006 09:21 PM

This may be a stupid question, but is your default email set as html? Mine is; all I have to do is open the email (or even through the preview pane), put my cursor over the image, right click and select "save as". It usually detects that it is an image and sets the default to jpeg I think and saves it. I would check that your default email is set to html. Does the email come as an attachment or is it embedded? That might make a difference. Take a look at those things and repost.

senorsnor 12-29-2006 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScooterB
This may be a stupid question, but is your default email set as html?

My default email is not set to html. I could only find a setting for default for composing email - that is not set to html. I couldn't find a default setting for receiving mail (and that wouldn't make much sense to me, either :-) Setting the default for composing to html didn't make a difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScooterB
Mine is; all I have to do is open the email (or even through the preview pane), put my cursor over the image, right click and select "save as". It usually detects that it is an image and sets the default to jpeg I think and saves it. I would check that your default email is set to html.

That is what I do exactly, only the "save as"-option doesn't detect anything and just saves the email message.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScooterB
Does the email come as an attachment or is it embedded? That might make a difference. Take a look at those things and repost.

In the email source it comes as "<img src="http://www.comics.com/blablabla">" You call that embedded? The image is not in an attachment in the message, it is retrieved from the internet when viewing the email.

Thanks for all your help so far. Some more info: I use evolution 2.8.1 on Arch Linux. It's an official Arch-package I installed.

senorsnor 12-29-2006 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archtoad6
If you right (alternate) click on the image itself, is there a "Save image as" option?

No, just a "Save as" option that saves the email ..

archtoad6 12-29-2006 11:24 AM

It sounds like you're not (alt) clicking on the image itself, but on the msg. it's embedded in. I find that hard to believe, so I suspect that Evolution is not allowing to click the image, just the msg.

I'm out of ideas, what Googles have you done?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.