Originally Posted by TB0ne
Well, is NIS involved in authentication? Did this problem start on Monday? Has anything else changed about your Linux/Samba server?
I only discovered the problem this morning. Last time anyone used the apps on this server (that require samba) was as far back as 3 weeks.
Recently half our servers crashed - NIS was one of the services that went down.
Everything has been recovered.
The server that I'm working on was *not* on of the servers that crashed.
The only other thing that has changed in the past 3 weeks were changes to dhcpd and dns - but I think I've ruled those out as problems as I can ping using both the network ip number and the dns name.
I checked the logs just now. (Thanks for that thought - I don't know why I didn't). And you were right, it did provide the group name and it was *not* the name I thought it was looking for. So now I'm pretty sure it was NIS.
In the meantime, I just now rebooted the server that has the samba issue (now that the users have gone home). Surprise. surprise. -- when it came back up, it worked. I can now map it's drives.
There must be a configuration problem as this is the only server that had this problem. The other servers, the servers that did not crash, did not lose their brains when NIS went down. I leaning towards NIS because the logs called out a group name that is defined in NIS.
Thanks to both of you - for your thoughts and help.