LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2011, 02:41 AM   #1
farooklk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Posts: 11
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Red face The file system /dev/mapper/mail-root, mounted on /, has no space left


Hi there,
Im getting a error message: The file system /dev/mapper/mail-root, mounted on /, has no space left and i checked df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/mail-root
6.5G 6.1G 34M 100% /
none 496M 208K 496M 1% /dev
none 501M 0 501M 0% /dev/shm
none 501M 128K 501M 1% /var/run
none 501M 0 501M 0% /var/lock
none 501M 0 501M 0% /lib/init/rw
/dev/sda1 228M 17M 200M 8% /boot

how can i solve this issue?
 
Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
EricTRA
Guru
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Gibraltar, Gibraltar
Distribution: Fedora 18 with Awesome WM
Posts: 6,805
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290
Hello and Welcome to LinuxQuestions,

You can solve this issue by cleaning up your file system, that is, by deleting unnecessary files, old log files and so on. Another option, since it looks like your partition is LVM you could increase the size of the partition with the appropriate commands if you still have space available. Have a look at this site for an easy to understand howto on LVM.

Have fun with Linux.

Kind regards,

Eric
 
Old 08-11-2011, 02:54 AM   #3
farooklk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Posts: 11
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Eric..can u tell me what are the log safe to delete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTRA View Post
Hello and Welcome to LinuxQuestions,

You can solve this issue by cleaning up your file system, that is, by deleting unnecessary files, old log files and so on. Another option, since it looks like your partition is LVM you could increase the size of the partition with the appropriate commands if you still have space available. Have a look at this site for an easy to understand howto on LVM.

Have fun with Linux.

Kind regards,

Eric
 
Old 08-11-2011, 02:59 AM   #4
EricTRA
Guru
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Gibraltar, Gibraltar
Distribution: Fedora 18 with Awesome WM
Posts: 6,805
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290
Hi,

Have a look in /var/log. There will be files in there like this example:
Code:
syslog
syslog.1
syslog.2.gz
Xorg.0.log
Xorg.0.log.old
and more. The ones ending with a number or number.gz or log.old are logs from previous to rotation and are safe to delete if you don't want to review them to resolve previous errors.

Remember that removing those old logs will only resolve your problem temporarily. You should look into increasing the size of your partition to avoid having to do cleanup actions on a very regular basis.

Also, it's always good practice to mention what distro and version you are using in order to get more dedicated answers.

Kind regards,

Eric
 
Old 08-11-2011, 03:05 AM   #5
farooklk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Posts: 11
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
version is Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS \n \l and is safe to increase the space?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTRA View Post
Hi,

Have a look in /var/log. There will be files in there like this example:
Code:
syslog
syslog.1
syslog.2.gz
Xorg.0.log
Xorg.0.log.old
and more. The ones ending with a number or number.gz or log.old are logs from previous to rotation and are safe to delete if you don't want to review them to resolve previous errors.

Remember that removing those old logs will only resolve your problem temporarily. You should look into increasing the size of your partition to avoid having to do cleanup actions on a very regular basis.

Also, it's always good practice to mention what distro and version you are using in order to get more dedicated answers.

Kind regards,

Eric
 
Old 08-11-2011, 03:19 AM   #6
EricTRA
Guru
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Gibraltar, Gibraltar
Distribution: Fedora 18 with Awesome WM
Posts: 6,805
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290Reputation: 1290
Hello,

Post the output of
Code:
sudo vgdisplay
That will tell if you have free PEs you can add to the partition. If you have, then you can look at the Howto I pointed you to for the commands needed. Of course, if you have doubts about running the commands, you can always post them here to have someone confirm if they're correct. And in case of errors you can also post those here.

Kind regards,

Eric
 
Old 08-11-2011, 03:21 AM   #7
farooklk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Posts: 11
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Smile

eric, I have more space on dev/mapper/mail-home, how can i use this space to mail-root?

Thanks in advance

/dev/mapper/mail-root
6.5G 5.9G 239M 97% /
none 496M 208K 496M 1% /dev
none 501M 0 501M 0% /dev/shm
none 501M 128K 501M 1% /var/run
none 501M 0 501M 0% /var/lock
none 501M 0 501M 0% /lib/init/rw
/dev/sda1 228M 17M 200M 8% /boot
/dev/mapper/mail-home
64G 433M 61G 1% /home


Quote:
Originally Posted by farooklk View Post
version is Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS \n \l and is safe to increase the space?
 
Old 08-11-2011, 03:25 AM   #8
farooklk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Posts: 11
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
--- Volume group ---
VG Name mail
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 1
Metadata Sequence No 4
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 3
Open LV 3
Max PV 0
Cur PV 1
Act PV 1
VG Size 74.26 GiB
PE Size 4.00 MiB
Total PE 19011
Alloc PE / Size 19011 / 74.26 GiB
Free PE / Size 0 / 0
VG UUID UpM12d-WqPl-0Q6v-U9Td-BZY2-5BgX-rPj6qK



Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTRA View Post
Hello,

Post the output of
Code:
sudo vgdisplay
That will tell if you have free PEs you can add to the partition. If you have, then you can look at the Howto I pointed you to for the commands needed. Of course, if you have doubts about running the commands, you can always post them here to have someone confirm if they're correct. And in case of errors you can also post those here.

Kind regards,

Eric
 
Old 08-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #9
farooklk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Posts: 11
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy

Hi eric,
any luck ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farooklk View Post
--- Volume group ---
VG Name mail
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 1
Metadata Sequence No 4
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 3
Open LV 3
Max PV 0
Cur PV 1
Act PV 1
VG Size 74.26 GiB
PE Size 4.00 MiB
Total PE 19011
Alloc PE / Size 19011 / 74.26 GiB
Free PE / Size 0 / 0
VG UUID UpM12d-WqPl-0Q6v-U9Td-BZY2-5BgX-rPj6qK
 
Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
16pide
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Posts: 418

Rep: Reputation: 83
What you can do before you reconfigure your filesystem to use more space, is find the files or directories eating up space.
Linux's / partition can use as little as 2GB most of the time.
Code:
du -xak /|sort -n|tail -50
 
Old 08-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
farooklk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Posts: 11
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi 16pide,
i got these details

90064 /lib/modules/2.6.32-24-generic-pae
90068 /lib/modules
127380 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110810T133733-27401/parts/p001
127384 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110810T133733-27401/parts
128876 /var/vmail/tb.lk/mario/cur
129900 /var/vmail/tb.lk/mario
131100 /var/lib/postgresql/8.4/main/pg_xlog
133660 /lib
134300 /var/log
184880 /var/vmail/do.lk
207080 /var/lib/postgresql/8.4/main/base/16384/16661
237004 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110810T170013-16963/email.txt
237004 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110811T114125-28683/email.txt
237004 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110811T125712-04218/email.txt
237008 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110810T133733-27401/email.txt
237012 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110810T170013-16963
237012 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110811T114125-28683
237012 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110811T125712-04218
237016 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110810T135523-29172/email.txt
237020 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110811T103826-13833/email.txt
237020 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110811T141012-09299/email.txt
237024 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110810T135523-29172
237024 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110810T162441-13148/email.txt
237028 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110811T103826-13833
237028 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110811T141012-09299
237032 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110810T162441-13148
241904 /var/spool/postfix/deferred/C/C262A26EB2
241908 /var/spool/postfix/deferred/C
242148 /var/spool/postfix/deferred
242940 /var/spool/postfix
243020 /var/spool
265604 /usr/lib
269836 /usr/share
311740 /var/vmail/tb.lk
364396 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20110810T133733-27401
424356 /var/cache/apt/archives
452948 /var/cache/apt
458196 /var/cache
505136 /var/vmail
679900 /usr
736640 /var/lib/postgresql/8.4/main/base/16384/16655
1076580 /var/lib/postgresql/8.4/main/base/16384
1135376 /var/lib/postgresql/8.4/main/base
1273284 /var/lib/postgresql/8.4/main
1273288 /var/lib/postgresql/8.4
1273292 /var/lib/postgresql
2058112 /var/lib/amavis
3524524 /var/lib
4868292 /var
5706661 /

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16pide View Post
What you can do before you reconfigure your filesystem to use more space, is find the files or directories eating up space.
Linux's / partition can use as little as 2GB most of the time.
Code:
du -xak /|sort -n|tail -50

Last edited by farooklk; 08-11-2011 at 12:30 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fsck.ex2:not found file or directory while opening /dev/mapper/root mukesh.methaniya Linux - Kernel 3 04-08-2011 08:39 AM
fsck.ext2: Is a directory while trying to open /dev/mapper/root mukesh.methaniya Linux - Kernel 1 04-08-2011 08:25 AM
SMDK2450 board - Linux kernel root file system not getting mounted aprajam Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer 16 01-21-2011 02:05 AM
How to free up space in /dev/mapper/ddf1_****** rajnikant.sharma Linux - General 1 08-03-2010 09:21 AM
Boot Error: Root file system /dev/root adtomar Linux - Networking 0 12-27-2004 10:50 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration