set terminal-title dynamically
Hello Folks, this is my first post here.
i googled the problem for about 4 hours
i asked several coders/admins
i searched linuxquestions.org
and got no satisfying answer
- i log into many linux servers (redhat, debian, suse, ubuntu)
- i want to set the terminal window/tab title to something like:
the partial solution i found:
- declaring a function _setTitle() in /etc/bashrc
- setting PROMPT_COMMAND at all servers in /etc/bashrc, calling _setTitle
is /etc/bashrc the proper place?
but i am i need of a command to set the title of the windows/tabs
- work for tabs and windows
- should use only builtins and avoid nasty cpu-wasting external forks
- work with common clients (windows/putty, linxu/gnome-terminal, linux/konsole)
- solution should base on cli, not on some gui like sshmenu!!!