LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
satimis
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,426

Rep: Reputation: 53
Seeking advice on webmin software


Hi folks,


Ubuntu 7.04 server amd64 (Host OS, mail server)
VMWare (virtual server)
CentOS 5 (Guest OS)


I'm prepared installing webmail on the mail server. Can folks on the forum please share me your experience. I found following 3 webmail software on Open Source;


Squirrelmail
http://www.squirrelmail.org/


Uebimiau
http://www.uebimiau.org/


Roundcube
http://roundcube.net/


1) Are there other software recommended other than abovementioned ?

2) Of the 3 mentioned above which of them will be the first choice ?

3) Squirrelmail has long history. Is it easy to configure?

4) Would it be a better idea installing webmin on the Guest OS, CentOS 5, and connect it to the users' mail boxes on the Host OS, Ubuntu 7.04 ? Or just on the same OS where the mail server resides.


TIA


B.R.
satimis
 
Old 11-29-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
farslayer
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Willoughby, Ohio
Distribution: linuxdebian
Posts: 7,228
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 189Reputation: 189
Actually Usermin on the mail server.. that is Webmins equivalent of a webmail package for a server..

1.
Have you looked at Scalix or Zimbra ? compete mail server solution with shared calendars, spam filtering, etc.. etc.. very nice complete solutions.

2.
That roundcube looks pretty nice !, I like the interface. Had I seen that before I would have tried it on my mail server..

3.
Squirrelmail is quite popular, and used on a lot of server. basic html interface. easy to configure


4. I would install everything on one server with no virtualization. When you start spam filtering and virus scanning messages, it can get pretty CPU intensive.

Also for a Server if you are going to use Ubuntu I would suggest the LTS (Long Term Support) Server version rather than just the regular 6 month cycle version.


I'm currently waiting for Zimbra to finish Version 5 so I can replace my current Debian Mail server with Zimbra on Debian.

Zimbra on Ubuntu LTS Server took me about a half hour to configure Mail, webmail, AV, and spam filtering.. was amazing simple.. just prep the system per the directions

1.install proper dependancies, and remove certain default packages
2.install a couple packages from Zimbra..
3.Configure through web interface..
4.DONE !!
 
Old 11-29-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
satimis
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,426

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by farslayer View Post
Actually Usermin on the mail server.. that is Webmins equivalent of a webmail package for a server..
Thanks for your advice.


Sorry, the topic should be "Seeking advice on webmail software". I can't get it corrected.


Quote:
1.
Have you looked at Scalix or Zimbra ? compete mail server solution with shared calendars, spam filtering, etc.. etc.. very nice complete solutions.
No just visited their sites;


Scalix
http://www.scalix.com/

Zimbra
http://www.zimbra.com/


They are open source but not free.


Quote:
2.
That roundcube looks pretty nice !, I like the interface. Had I seen that before I would have tried it on my mail server.
Interesting. I would try it.


Quote:
3.
Squirrelmail is quite popular, and used on a lot of server. basic html interface. easy to configure
I heard it for long time but w/o testing it.


Quote:
4. I would install everything on one server with no virtualization. When you start spam filtering and virus scanning messages, it can get pretty CPU intensive.

Also for a Server if you are going to use Ubuntu I would suggest the LTS (Long Term Support) Server version rather than just the regular 6 month cycle version.
Advice noted and thanks.


I build this server for testing, not for production, to learn setup a virtual machine. I chose Ubunbu because easy to configure saving my time so that I can devote the same to other use. Because I always discover my time is insufficient on building LAMP server, lot of problems.


Previously I came across a project developing a package to setup Apache. I can't recall its name, seemingly starting "X??PP. Googling can't find it. Any idea?


Quote:
I'm currently waiting for Zimbra to finish Version 5 so I can replace my current Debian Mail server with Zimbra on Debian.

Zimbra on Ubuntu LTS Server took me about a half hour to configure Mail, webmail, AV, and spam filtering.. was amazing simple.. just prep the system per the directions

1.install proper dependancies, and remove certain default packages
2.install a couple packages from Zimbra..
3.Configure through web interface..
4.DONE !!
How much for the package, counting per user?


B.R.
satimis
 
Old 11-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
farslayer
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Willoughby, Ohio
Distribution: linuxdebian
Posts: 7,228
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 189Reputation: 189
Zimbra and Scalix both have free community versions. so you don't need to pay for anything. The Commercial version gets you Support, Outlook integration (so you can use the calendaring etc in outlook) and Mobile device support for TREO's or Blackberries

http://www.zimbra.com/community/downloads.html
ZCS Open Source Edition is available for you to test, evaluate, deploy, customize, and improve. It is free in perpetuity (providing you comply with the associated licensing terms). It does not, however, include Zimbra Support or software subscription.


http://www.scalix.com/community/comm...tion/index.php
Download Community Edition. It’s free. 25 Premium Users, unlimited Standard Users.


The only project I'm aware of for setting up and configuring apache is the apache toolbox. http://www.apachetoolbox.com/ it downloads apache and relatd applications (PHP, MySQL, etc.. etc.. ) and compiles them from source.

Or where you just looking for a web based/graphical interface to configure apache ? something like webmin...
http://netloony.sourceforge.net/
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seeking advice on JBoss satimis Linux - General 0 08-09-2006 10:19 AM
noob seeking advice sr_gnosis Linux - Games 5 07-22-2006 09:56 PM
seeking advice regarding Slackware adityavpratap Slackware 25 10-20-2005 11:47 AM
Seeking advice on script satimis Programming 1 10-05-2004 03:02 PM
Seeking Diagnosis Advice... verbal Linux - Hardware 2 09-12-2003 06:11 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration