okay I have sorted this
So the issue was that you need to be running the script file to send the mail BEFORE
you run pure-ftpd, I know thats obvious really.
The vanilla build of pure-ftp on fedora [yum install pure-ftpd] does have support for pure-uploadscript so i have got this to work now.
what i have just done is on a clean build of Fed12,
1) run yum install pure-ftpd
2) done the usual build process for users etc and enabled the CallUploadScript yes option. [let me know if you want the details of this]
3) Configured sendmail so it can send me the mail [again let me know if you want the basics of this]
4) created a script called /etc/pure-ftpd/newfile.sh
which looks like this
echo "$1 uploaded" | mail -s "New upload : $1" \ firstname.lastname@example.org
5) run the script
/usr/local/sbin/pure-uploadscript -B -r /etc/pure-ftpd/newfile.sh
6) run the ftp server [service pure-ftpd start]
and bingo upload a file and you get an e-mail, to simple really. now I just need to work out how to get at the other variables i believe are there and do something meaningfull with the information.
The basic e-mail looks like this
which is not to fanstastic
hope this helps someone else.. its has driven me NUTS!