Linux - ServerThis forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I run Privoxy on the same machine as my browser. Until recently, everything worked just fine, but now it refuses to upload. When I tried to enter a site, it took extremely long to load. I tried other sites too, but same problem. I checked my network speed at www.speedtest.net. The ping check seemed to never finish, but when it did, it showed more than 10 sec ping. I found out that my download speed is just fine. My upload is another story. I have 1000 kbit upload, but the test showed just 30. I tried again without going through privoxy, and everything went back to normal.
I have tried to purge privoxy, and then reinstall it. No difference. I have tried both Opera and Firefox. Same problem. OS is Ubuntu.
I checked my network speed (..) The ping check seemed to never finish, but when it did, it showed more than 10 sec ping.
Your ping trouble makes me think of ISP-side network problems, not trouble with Privoxy. When the problem occurs again what would be interesting are network test results using something else that uses TCP like 'tcptraceroute' or 'lft' (not 'traceroute' as it uses UDP and not 'ping' as it uses ICMP). Sure you could post (attach?) your Privoxy configuration (please remove comments with 'grep -v "^#"' and remove empty lines), your network (and firewall) settings, and then some but I'd rather see network test results first.
Did a basic tcptraceroute. Didnt understand much of lft.
Here is the output of tcptraceroute:
suppen@Ubuntu:~$ tcptraceroute www.ubuntu.com
Selected device eth0, address 192.168.0.152, port 38322 for outgoing packets
Tracing the path to www.ubuntu.com (22.214.171.124) on TCP port 80 (www), 30 hops max
1 10.0.0.1 74.228 ms 98.897 ms 100.626 ms
2 1.80-202-103.nextgentel.com (126.96.36.199) 27.586 ms 25.325 ms 24.765 ms
3 217-13-1-194.dd.nextgentel.com (188.8.131.52) 29.999 ms 29.935 ms 31.391 ms
4 80-202-2-74.dd.nextgentel.com (184.108.40.206) 30.827 ms 30.174 ms 30.898 ms
5 37.84-48-3.nextgentel.com (220.127.116.11) 31.727 ms 36.174 ms 30.691 ms
6 * 178.84-48-4.nextgentel.com (18.104.22.168) 30.090 ms 36.285 ms
7 oso-b3-link.telia.net (22.214.171.124) 30.563 ms 31.561 ms 30.192 ms
8 kbn-bb2-link.telia.net (126.96.36.199) 39.763 ms 39.831 ms 37.992 ms
9 hbg-bb2-link.telia.net (188.8.131.52) 47.533 ms 43.643 ms 42.440 ms
10 ldn-bb2-link.telia.net (184.108.40.206) 60.168 ms 59.194 ms
ldn-bb2-link.telia.net (220.127.116.11) 58.004 ms
11 ldn-b5-link.telia.net (18.104.22.168) 62.223 ms
ldn-b5-link.telia.net (22.214.171.124) 58.009 ms 57.759 ms
12 ldn-tch-i1-link.telia.net (126.96.36.199) 57.613 ms 59.628 ms 60.092 ms
13 113069-ldn-tch-i1.c.telia.net (188.8.131.52) 129.572 ms 85.532 ms 57.800 ms
14 canonical-gw.gwr.datahop.net (184.108.40.206) 60.984 ms 61.165 ms 58.622 ms
15 eth0.peumo.canonical.com (220.127.116.11) 59.476 ms 57.977 ms 60.040 ms
16 avocado.canonical.com (18.104.22.168) [open] 60.134 ms * *
Did the problem occur again, or was this a tcptraceroute "just because you can"? When the problem occurs again it would be good to trace a few more common sites like Sourceforge, Slashdot, Google, whatever else you fancy. That might help paint a better picture of network conditions. (Sure it would be more thorough to also use some Looking Glasses in geographically different locations using different backbones too, but OK...)
I did post the config further up in the thread. Anyway, i think i might have found the problem. It was not privoxy, but my router. I started to suspect that after i connected to another accesspoint on my network, and everything was just fine. I found a ticked checkbox marked "DNS relay", and unticked it. Now it seems like everything works again. Dont understand why that would confuse privoxy and not other network dependent programs though. Thanks for your help anyway