POP3 Suddenly Failing - No known changes
I have been running a Fedora Core 6 server for a while. I re-built the server about a month ago and had everything working.
Three days ago POP3 stopped working for Outlook connections. I now get the following error: "Sending and Receiving reboted error (0x800CCC0f) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted.....'"
What's interesting is that I can still Telnet to Port 110 without issue. This is what I tried:
+OK Dovecot ready.
+OK Logged in.
+OK 11 messages:
+OK 11 212301
So, it appears that I can connect to the port, I can authenticate, and I can hit the mailbox. So, I can't figure out why Outlook is barfing.
To make it more interesting, I have another person at another house that started having the problem at the same time when connecting to my server. So, I highly doubt that it is my XP machine that is causing the problem.
One possibility may be that you have a message stuck in the mailbox with a malformed header. I had a problem with a pop mailbox where this was the cause. The details were slightly different, but this may have been because I was using Apple's Mail program (in that case, it kept starting to download the same message, but downloading never completed).
Telnet has no problem with such messages, because (being a "stupid" program) it treats everything in a message as plain text. Email clients (being more "clever") can't deal with the malformed header, and so (as you say) they barf.
The solution was to use telnet to check the messages and then delete them. Any important messages can be copy-and-pasted into a text-editor and then saved.
Hope this helps,
Edited to add: the message with a malformed header would probably be the oldest message still on the server, so you may only need to deal with that one.
You know, when I respond to someone's post, I do kind of like to know whether what I suggested was helpful to them or not.
You are totally right. I should have responded and don't blame you for calling me out on it. :o
What didn't make sense about what you had written was that it was happening on two different e-mail accounts on two separate clients. I would have thought that only one would have crapped out if it was just a malformed header.
That being said...
I went into my mailbox and wiped everything out because nothing in there was worth keeping anyway. But, that didn't resolve my issue immediately. The other person who was having the same problem has a laptop and they had to reboot it at one point. Once they did they got all their mail, but I still wasn't getting mine.......Until I rebooted my desktop. Then, I too was getting all the messages.
Anyway, the malformed headers was probably the key issue, so thanks for pointing me in that direction.
I have witnessed that problem with users running Outlook 2000 on windows 2k and Windows XP as well.. for no apparent reason Outlook just can't access a mailbox. A reboot of the system corrects the problem. I think it has to do with Microsoft using the MAPI32.dll for Mail access. closing and re-opening Outlook does nothing, the only fix is a reboot.
Amazingly enough I have never had this problem with a client that is using Thunderbird.. big surprise huh ?
Another weird Outlook issue that has cropped up from time to time is the user receiving duplicate emails.. EVERYTHING comes into Outlook twice. The solution for that issue is to open the task manager in Windows you will notice that Outlook.exe is running TWICE yet the user only sees one GUI for Outlook. Kill both processes in the task manager and restart Outlook PRESTO CHANGO !! the duplicate mail problem disappears.
I have also witnessed the problem with the malformed mail header. I usually enter the mailbox through the web-mail interface and start by deleting all the SPAM messages first, then try to download the mail again. if that doesn't work then I go through the rest of the messages one at a time till I hit the right one, and the client can then download their messages fro the server.
I really hate Outlook as a mail client.
I am trying to connect pop3 server using telnet hostname 110
I am using webmin to set up dovecot server..
It is showing connected but I am unable to execute commands like user.. pass etc..
and same problem for SMTp port 25 ..
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.|