LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
bala.linuxtech
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Location: Bangalore
Distribution: RHEL and Centos
Posts: 80

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question Password less User Login !!


Hi LQ Geeks

I am using RHEL5.4 Box,

I have created one user in the name of " Linuxuser" then i removed that user password using

#passwd -d Linuxuser

It's showing Default password is "Success"

I would like to know,How to modify this Default password ?

I would like to change the default password "Linux123" instead of "Success" ..

Is it possible ? if it is Please guide me to change this password Guys !

Thanks in advance

Regards
Bala.Linuxtech
 
Old 12-10-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
bijo505
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Location: Bangalore
Distribution: Fedora & Ubuntu
Posts: 77

Rep: Reputation: 18
Hi,
If you run 'passwd -d username' it will remove the passwd entry from /etc/shadow file and after that user can't login to the system. If you want to reset the passwd of the user, you need to run following command as root 'passwd <username>'
--
Thanks,
Bijo
 
Old 12-10-2012, 03:09 AM   #3
bala.linuxtech
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Location: Bangalore
Distribution: RHEL and Centos
Posts: 80

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by bijo505 View Post
Hi,
If you run 'passwd -d username' it will remove the passwd entry from /etc/shadow file and after that user can't login to the system. If you want to reset the passwd of the user, you need to run following command as root 'passwd <username>'
--
Thanks,
Bijo
Hi Bijo

Thanks for your reply, but this is not what i want, i know very well about this concepts, still My doubt is how to modify default password when using password less user logins ...

Thanks

Regards
Bala.Linuxtech
 
Old 12-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
bijo505
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Location: Bangalore
Distribution: Fedora & Ubuntu
Posts: 77

Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala.linuxtech View Post
Hi LQ Geeks

I am using RHEL5.4 Box,

I have created one user in the name of " Linuxuser" then i removed that user password using

#passwd -d Linuxuser

It's showing Default password is "Success"

I would like to know,How to modify this Default password ?

I would like to change the default password "Linux123" instead of "Success" ..

Is it possible ? if it is Please guide me to change this password Guys !

Thanks in advance

Regards
Bala.Linuxtech
Hi Bala,

I answered your question based on your above questions only. After you executing the command 'passwd -d <username>' it will change the entry in the /etc/shadow file and after that you will get the command output status. Ie Success or failed, that doesn't mean that the password of the user is changed to "Success".

Regarding password less login:- I think you are talking about password-less ssh login, if it is true, ssh is working based on the exchange and verification of public and private keys. so if you change the password or even locked the account also, if the public key is there in the authorized_key file user can login to the system.

Kindly provide info, which you exactly want, so people can help you.
--
Thanks,
Bijo
 
Old 12-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
bala.linuxtech
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Location: Bangalore
Distribution: RHEL and Centos
Posts: 80

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijo505 View Post
Hi Bala,

I answered your question based on your above questions only. After you executing the command 'passwd -d <username>' it will change the entry in the /etc/shadow file and after that you will get the command output status. Ie Success or failed, that doesn't mean that the password of the user is changed to "Success".

Regarding password less login:- I think you are talking about password-less ssh login, if it is true, ssh is working based on the exchange and verification of public and private keys. so if you change the password or even locked the account also, if the public key is there in the authorized_key file user can login to the system.

Kindly provide info, which you exactly want, so people can help you.
--
Thanks,
Bijo
Hi Bijo
Thanks for your reply Bijo, Here,I am not talking about Password less SSH, Still I am talking about password less user Logins only, Have you ever tried password less user logins ? Still , I am doing password less user Logins , if i set password less user login using # passwd -d Linuxuser , that password automatically removed and that default password is "Success" is assigned to everyone, Here My doubt is How to change or reset this Default password ??

Hope You will understand about my Process !!

Thanks
Bala.Linuxtech
 
Old 12-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
aedurkee
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2012
Location: Tonawnada, NY
Distribution: CentOS Redhat ubuntu mint
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
??
sudo passwd Linuxuser
or as root
passwd Linuxuser

Then at the two prompts to enter and confirm the password, enter the password.

The above is the traditional way to change a password.
??

Or do you mean in the gui on something like ubuntu for automated login of a workstation?
 
Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #7
bala.linuxtech
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Location: Bangalore
Distribution: RHEL and Centos
Posts: 80

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedurkee View Post
??
sudo passwd Linuxuser
or as root
passwd Linuxuser

Then at the two prompts to enter and confirm the password, enter the password.

The above is the traditional way to change a password.
??

Or do you mean in the gui on something like ubuntu for automated login of a workstation?
Hi aedurkee

Here i am talking about password less user login only ..

First please understand the question ..
 
Old 12-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
decenter
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Distribution: Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
Posts: 136

Rep: Reputation: 17
First I created a user and then assigned a password to it. Then I removed the password using the command

Code:
passwd -d username
Then I logged out. After that, I was able to login without any password. I just need to select that username in the desktop prompt.

"The default password is Success" does not mean that it is setting password as success. Its just showing password removal is success. So the user can now login to desktop without any password.

Last edited by decenter; 12-13-2012 at 06:37 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] I can't login with my user and password Helena Ubuntu 8 01-22-2013 08:40 AM
Ubuntu 11.04 encrypted LVM password not working after user login password change prateekm21 Linux - Security 0 10-29-2011 01:20 PM
User can't login with the right password ichliebede Linux - Laptop and Netbook 5 12-03-2009 05:29 AM
User login without password Artik Debian 5 05-11-2005 12:56 PM
how to login as user who has no password danahata Linux - Newbie 4 08-20-2003 05:57 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration