LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
steve51184
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 372

Rep: Reputation: 30
need help with getting Dovecot mail server to work


hi i've tried to get Dovecot mail server to work and the install went ok but when i run "/etc/init.d/dovecot start" i get this error:

Code:
Error: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 762: Auth section not allowed here (section changed at line 762)
Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
and here's my (default) dovecot.conf file:
http://paste-it.net/7441

os: ubuntu server 7.1
 
Old 03-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
rayfordj
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Distribution: Fedora, RHEL, CentOS
Posts: 475

Rep: Reputation: 73
is it possibly due to the auth default2 { defined immediately above (line 760)?

Code:
#
auth default2 {

 
auth default {
 
Old 03-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
steve51184
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 372

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
that was done from this guide in part 3c
 
Old 03-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
rayfordj
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Distribution: Fedora, RHEL, CentOS
Posts: 475

Rep: Reputation: 73
If i'm reading that article correctly it would look like this:
Code:
auth default {
mechanisms = plain login
passdb pam {
}
userdb passwd {
}
socket listen {
client {
path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
mode = 0660
user = postfix
group = postfix
}

auth default2 {
what i meant by my previous statement is you are not closing the 'auth default2' stanza before you open your 'auth default' stanza.

by doing the above you are using the already existing closing } that is "buried" further down past the comments and default settings.
 
Old 03-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
steve51184
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 372

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfordj View Post
If i'm reading that article correctly it would look like this:
Code:
auth default {
mechanisms = plain login
passdb pam {
}
userdb passwd {
}
socket listen {
client {
path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
mode = 0660
user = postfix
group = postfix
}

auth default2 {
what i meant by my previous statement is you are not closing the 'auth default2' stanza before you open your 'auth default' stanza.

by doing the above you are using the already existing closing } that is "buried" further down past the comments and default settings.
but that code you just posted is what i have.. or am i missing something? (ie what should it look like?)

Last edited by steve51184; 03-19-2008 at 05:27 PM.
 
Old 03-19-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
billymayday
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuse, Slack, Gentoo, Debian, Arch, PCBSD
Posts: 6,678

Rep: Reputation: 122Reputation: 122
What he means is try changing

Code:
auth default2 {
to

Code:
auth default2 {

}
Note the additional "}"
 
Old 03-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
steve51184
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 372

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymayday View Post
What he means is try changing

Code:
auth default2 {
to

Code:
auth default2 {

}
Note the additional "}"
thanks for replying but that give the same error but for line 774 instead of line 762

http://paste-it.net/7447
 
Old 03-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
billymayday
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuse, Slack, Gentoo, Debian, Arch, PCBSD
Posts: 6,678

Rep: Reputation: 122Reputation: 122
Try commenting out lines 774-776

if that doesn't work, do you still have a copy of the default dovecot.conf? If so, my the version you've been working on to a saved version (say dovecot.conf.sav) and copy the default to dovecot.conf. It should work out of the box anyway (except you may want to change the protocols section to imap and pop)
 
Old 03-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
steve51184
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 372

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymayday View Post
Try commenting out lines 774-776

if that doesn't work, do you still have a copy of the default dovecot.conf? If so, my the version you've been working on to a saved version (say dovecot.conf.sav) and copy the default to dovecot.conf. It should work out of the box anyway (except you may want to change the protocols section to imap and pop)
that gives this error:

Code:
Error: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 781: Unknown setting: mechanisms
Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
 
Old 03-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
rayfordj
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Distribution: Fedora, RHEL, CentOS
Posts: 475

Rep: Reputation: 73
in the default config file (before your modifications) it has

auth default {

# some comments
#
some values {
stuff
}
#comments
#comments

#and eventually closes the 'auth default' stanza with
}

so when you put your copy/paste under and rename the above to auth default2 you are placing an auth in an auth which does not work.

what you want to do is take the code that you pasted into (under) the auth default2 and move it above the (now named) auth default2 line.


http://paste-it.net/7449

Last edited by rayfordj; 03-19-2008 at 06:41 PM. Reason: added link
 
Old 03-19-2008, 06:35 PM   #11
billymayday
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuse, Slack, Gentoo, Debian, Arch, PCBSD
Posts: 6,678

Rep: Reputation: 122Reputation: 122
Did you try my other suggestion of the default config?

Where did the version you are using come from? It sounds like you have the wrong version for the dovecot version you are trying to run. Definitely try the original config that came with dovecot
 
Old 03-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #12
steve51184
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 372

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfordj View Post
in the default config file (before your modifications) it has

auth default {

# some comments
#
some values {
stuff
}
#comments
#comments

#and eventually closes the 'auth default' stanza with
}

so when you put your copy/paste under and rename the above to auth default2 you are placing an auth in an auth which does not work.

what you want to do is take the code that you pasted into (under) the auth default2 and move it above the (now named) auth default2 line.


http://paste-it.net/7449
that's works but i get a new error:

Code:
Error: Can't use mail executable /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3: No such file or directory
Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
seems i need to set that link to the correct file?

Last edited by steve51184; 03-19-2008 at 06:50 PM.
 
Old 03-19-2008, 06:57 PM   #13
billymayday
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuse, Slack, Gentoo, Debian, Arch, PCBSD
Posts: 6,678

Rep: Reputation: 122Reputation: 122
How did you install dovecot?
 
Old 03-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #14
steve51184
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 372

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
seems i missed the second command from this guide:

http://www.mysql-apache-php.com/#mailserver

apt-get install dovecot-imapd dovecot-pop3d dovecot-common

all working now
 
Old 03-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #15
rayfordj
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Distribution: Fedora, RHEL, CentOS
Posts: 475

Rep: Reputation: 73
Good to hear!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setup Mail Server with Postfix/Dovecot/SquirrelMail olddocks Linux - Server 2 03-24-2009 02:34 AM
LXer: Debian Mail Server Setup with Postfix + Dovecot + SASL + Squirrel Mail LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 03-12-2008 11:50 PM
Linux Mail Server sendmail-dovecot-squirrelmail xhimi Linux - Server 2 01-18-2008 06:07 PM
mail server configuration using dovecot in rhel 4 karzon Linux - Newbie 2 03-16-2007 07:38 AM
For the linux gurus, about dovecot mail server kar11 Linux - Software 0 04-14-2004 07:20 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration