Linux - ServerThis forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I am facing with a problem in RHEL4 in mysqld service. Its constantly using 99.9% of CPU. I have posted this problem in mysql forums but do anyone here faced with this before.
Below is the link of the mysql posting of mine because I don't want to made this page huge by pasting those whole outputs again here. http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?10,...002#msg-167002
I really appreciate your help on this. Thanks in advance.
Many have this same problem in mysql forums also but no one ever answered that question. How come this is not answered.
What size are your tables? How are they being used?
I'm thinking of an issue that has recently been resolved where I work. One of our systems (a booking system) uses an MS SQLServer database. It was developing the habit of grinding to a halt at approx 4.30pm every day (busy time) and getting earlier, and the server's processor usage was topped out at 100%.
It turned out that there was a procedure that was supposed to run each night, to dump all records older than 7 days from the reservations table into an "old resrvations" table. This had stopped running (it was being prevented by a backup routine that had been set to run at the same time - D'Oh!). The reservations table was being queried each time a booking was made, or a booked session was started, and when the table got to over a million or so rows it just couldn't cope during busy periods.
As vendor did the development section of web server, mysql, apache so its hard for me to tell on which section they actually did the problem. They did some repair table, analyze table in mysql and changed some global values which did a little.
Its not showing mysql service taking cpu usage 99.9% constantly now but it still reaches there and holds for a certain amount of time.
Dont have any clue on this.
I can't believe that none had ever fell into this problem. Even anyone in mysql forums is not answering this problem. I am using mysql 4.1.12 version and this is my my.cnf file. Is this any version related problem?
One more thing I have another mysql server running with huge hits and in that server I noticed that several mysql instances are running but in this server only one is running.
Running this simple query takes immediately 99.9% CPU and if someone else runs in between then it becomes a hell.
SELECT * FROM division where request_date between '2007-08-21 00:00:00' and '2007-08-21 23:59:59' AND id in (SELECT id FROM division_assign WHERE action_to='Division' AND action_status='0') order by id desc;
I have exactly the same problem (RHE3 + mysqld Ver 4.1.12-max-log for pc-linux-gnu on i686)
I don't know what setup should be changed but I found some workarround. (I know it's not perfect workarround)
I create temporary table which is smaller for just about one column. (this coulumn is not used in my query).
With smaller table my qery works without problems (about 2s).
So, it seems that problem is with the size of table.
I recently implemented that same database in a simple desktop PC with 512 RAM and did some indexing in the most used tables. To my surprise I found that after doing that the mysqld service is not even showing in the 'top' command, that is, so faster processing. Now taking care of indexing issue on the tables. Hope this will solve the problem.
Also changed the mysql server version from 4.1.2 to 5.0.27.