LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Server (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/)
-   -   Memory Modules (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/memory-modules-4175457595/)

ovan 04-10-2013 01:58 AM

Memory Modules
 
I want to know the number of memory modules installed on my server through konsole, so i don't have to shutdown the system.

My machine is a hp proliant server with the operating system running linux centos 6.3 64bit

thanks

druuna 04-10-2013 02:39 AM

Not sure if this command is installed by default, but try using lshw

Examples:
Code:

# short memory related list:
lshw -short -class memory

# elaborate memory related list:
lshw -class memory

This is shown on my box (I do believe you're interested in the bold part):
Code:

# lshw -short -class memory
H/W path          Device      Class      Description
======================================================
/0/0                          memory      64KiB BIOS
/0/4/5                        memory      256KiB L1 cache
/0/4/6                        memory      1MiB L2 cache
/0/4/7                        memory      8MiB L3 cache
/0/40                          memory      12GiB System Memory
/0/40/0                        memory      2GiB DIMM 1066 MHz (0.9 ns)
/0/40/1                        memory      2GiB DIMM 1066 MHz (0.9 ns)
/0/40/2                        memory      2GiB DIMM 1066 MHz (0.9 ns)
/0/40/3                        memory      2GiB DIMM 1066 MHz (0.9 ns)
/0/40/4                        memory      2GiB DIMM 1066 MHz (0.9 ns)
/0/40/5                        memory      2GiB DIMM 1066 MHz (0.9 ns)


visu_kvg 04-10-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ovan (Post 4928698)
I want to know the number of memory modules installed on my server through konsole, so i don't have to shutdown the system.

My machine is a hp proliant server with the operating system running linux centos 6.3 64bit

thanks

I am not sure whether lsmod command will help you or not. But it will list you all modules loaded into the memory.

TB0ne 04-10-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by visu_kvg (Post 4929034)
I am not sure whether lsmod command will help you or not. But it will list you all modules loaded into the memory.

No, it won't help at all. Kernel modules don't show detailed hardware information.

ovan 04-11-2013 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by druuna (Post 4928721)
Not sure if this command is installed by default, but try using lshw

Examples:
Code:

# short memory related list:
lshw -short -class memory

# elaborate memory related list:
lshw -class memory

This is shown on my box (I do believe you're interested in the bold part):
Code:

# lshw -short -class memory
H/W path          Device      Class      Description
======================================================
/0/0                          memory      64KiB BIOS
/0/4/5                        memory      256KiB L1 cache
/0/4/6                        memory      1MiB L2 cache
/0/4/7                        memory      8MiB L3 cache
/0/40                          memory      12GiB System Memory
/0/40/0                        memory      2GiB DIMM 1066 MHz (0.9 ns)
/0/40/1                        memory      2GiB DIMM 1066 MHz (0.9 ns)
/0/40/2                        memory      2GiB DIMM 1066 MHz (0.9 ns)
/0/40/3                        memory      2GiB DIMM 1066 MHz (0.9 ns)
/0/40/4                        memory      2GiB DIMM 1066 MHz (0.9 ns)
/0/40/5                        memory      2GiB DIMM 1066 MHz (0.9 ns)


i had tried to use lshw, but its not installed by default. so i get it from http://pkgs.repoforge.org/lshw/lshw-....rf.x86_64.rpm and install it manually, and here is the results

Code:

[root@ovan ~]# lshw -short -class memory
H/W path          Device    Class      Description
====================================================
/0/0                          memory    64KiB BIOS
/0/4/5                        memory    64KiB L1 cache
/0/4/6                        memory    512KiB L2 cache
/0/4/7                        memory    4MiB L3 cache
/0/1e                        memory    4GiB System Memory
/0/1e/0                      memory    2GiB DIMM DDR3 Synchronous 800 MHz (1.2 ns)
/0/1e/1                      memory    DIMM DDR3 Synchronous [empty]
/0/1e/2                      memory    DIMM DDR3 Synchronous [empty]
/0/1e/3                      memory    2GiB DIMM DDR3 Synchronous 800 MHz (1.2 ns)
/0/1e/4                      memory    DIMM DDR3 Synchronous [empty]
/0/1e/5                      memory    DIMM DDR3 Synchronous [empty]
/0/1e/6                      memory    DIMM DDR3 Synchronous [empty]
/0/1e/7                      memory    DIMM DDR3 Synchronous [empty]
/0/1e/8                      memory    DIMM DDR3 Synchronous [empty]
/0/1e/9                      memory    DIMM DDR3 Synchronous [empty]
/0/1e/a                      memory    DIMM DDR3 Synchronous [empty]
/0/1e/b                      memory    DIMM DDR3 Synchronous [empty]
/0/1e/c                      memory    DIMM DDR3 Synchronous [empty]
/0/1e/d                      memory    DIMM DDR3 Synchronous [empty]
/0/1e/e                      memory    DIMM DDR3 Synchronous [empty]
/0/1e/f                      memory    DIMM DDR3 Synchronous [empty]
/0/1e/10                      memory    DIMM DDR3 Synchronous [empty]
/0/1e/11                      memory    DIMM DDR3 Synchronous [empty]
[root@ovan ~]#

thanks for the information, it really helps :hattip:

dragonlord76 04-15-2013 11:33 AM

I know this is solved but just in case you don't want to install lshw. You could use "dmidecode -t memory" very details info of each memory module installed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.