Mail Server Migration
I have a server that is manged through the WHM and cpanel i want to migrate one of my accounts mail server into another standalone mail server , i think my cpanel uses Exim as mail server and would like to migrate this to qmail server
what is the necessary steps that should be done ?
and i think i will use imapsync , but i cant reset all my mail accounts passwords ! is there a way to avoid that ?
Any help and tips or suggestions are appreciated .
Thanks in advance guys.
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Exim or qmail, but I can tell that imapsync is a very useful tool. I owe the author of imapsync a lunch or beer or two:)
What you may have to do, is export the password from your old system, and then import the password into your new system. Not sure how easy that will be, but it's something to look into.
lunch and beer?
U r going to migrate ur cpanel based mail accounts. That's fine. But as far as in my experience of several server migration, POP Mail Server servers are critical and tuff. imapsync is a good tool for migration though i have not used it.
You can take care of following things for POP Mail Server Migration
If you are going for just migration with no OS and software upgrades then just migrate your password/groups/quota/mailbox that's it. Install qmail with PAM auth features. (qmail has mysql/PAM/file based auth mechanism) choose one for your own. It would be problematic if you have virtual domains. so better to go for next process.
If you are configuring new mail server with upgrade + Migration then u need to follow the process below.
1. Take the backups of every files related to the server migration.
a. Configuration files
b. Password/shadow/groups/Mailbox/Quota/Webmail/logs/aliases/vacancy/forwarding/fetch mail/mail related database/home directory settings related files if they are.
2. I suggest not to use qmail server since it has no upgraded version due to proprietary issue of the owner due to which we have only open source patches to upgrade. Better is Sendmail in my 10 yrs of experience(easy configuration/upgradable/secure/flexible/has handy tools/works even on low bandwidth like (4k/4k) even/better log management/faster then qmail) and use dovecot (which is flexible/runs both POP/IMAP/IMAPs/POP3s with single service/auto mailbox unlock etc.)
So Sendmail + Dovecot is better in my experience.
3. Send pre notice emails to the every users about the forceful migration by the warning and ultimate date to collect the emails from old mail server and as well as send the new pop mail server address and password for each users. It could take months even. But at least inform them about this and provide new features that your old server doesn't have to motivate the client. Don't forget your direct contact on that email to respond quick.
4. Change the DNS setting to new mail server just before the migration.
5. Then at the ultimate date of migration disable the clients login, before that activate the new server with the fully tested services.
6. Now the new email accounts get active and clients began to collect the email from new server. But those who have not responded your pre notice email can even call you to collect the email. For that u have to keep the old server.
Actually this is not so easy process, u need passion, and expertise for this. Stay cool for support.
Good Luck boss.
You can get some ideas on Mail Server at http://www.ispexperts.com.np
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.|