LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #16
colucix
Moderator
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Bologna
Distribution: CentOS 6.5 OpenSuSE 12.3
Posts: 10,458

Rep: Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear_matrix View Post
I have a second machine and in that server i was able to install magento and its dependecies without any issues using YUM. I have compared the default repo file in both the machine and everything is same.
Nope. Not the same: maybe in your second machine you don't have the exclude list in yum.conf. What's the deal with it? Couldn't you edit the /etc/yum.conf and comment out the exclude option? Looking at the output you posted above:
Code:
[~]# yum install php-xml
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: mirror.symnds.com
 * extras: centos.mirror.choopa.net
 * updates: mirror.ash.fastserv.com
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished
Setting up Install Process
No package php-xml available.
Nothing to do
Please notice the part highlighted in red: that is the only and unique reason why you cannot install the php packages from the CentOS repositories. In /etc/yum.conf you have:
Code:
[main]
exclude=apache* bind-chroot courier* dovecot* exim* filesystem httpd* mod_ssl* mysql* nsd* perl* php* proftpd* pure-ftpd* ruby* spamassassin* squirrelmail*
<omitted>
Regarding the third-party repository I agree with deep27ak: it's safe to not install so many untrusted repos, since they may bring to conflicts among different packages or different releases of the same package providing the same files. In this case it would be advisable to install the yum priorities plugin, by which you can assign a higher priority to the official repository and a lower priority to the untrusted ones. Take a look at http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities for more details.
 
Old 11-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #17
deep27ak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore, India
Distribution: rhel 5x,6.0,6.2, centOS 5x,6.0,6.2
Posts: 1,188
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 219Reputation: 219Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by fear_matrix View Post
Got your point. But now the big question is that the default repository is not helping out and i need to install many magento dependenies which usually deals with installing many php plugins using YUM

I have a second machine and in that server i was able to install magento and its dependecies without any issues using YUM. I have compared the default repo file in both the machine and everything is same.
can you show the repo file of that server?

and are both the machines on same network?
 
Old 11-11-2011, 03:34 AM   #18
fear_matrix
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by colucix View Post
Nope. Not the same: maybe in your second machine you don't have the exclude list in yum.conf. What's the deal with it? Couldn't you edit the /etc/yum.conf and comment out the exclude option? Looking at the output you posted above:
Code:
[~]# yum install php-xml
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: mirror.symnds.com
 * extras: centos.mirror.choopa.net
 * updates: mirror.ash.fastserv.com
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished
Setting up Install Process
No package php-xml available.
Nothing to do
Please notice the part highlighted in red: that is the only and unique reason why you cannot install the php packages from the CentOS repositories. In /etc/yum.conf you have:
Code:
[main]
exclude=apache* bind-chroot courier* dovecot* exim* filesystem httpd* mod_ssl* mysql* nsd* perl* php* proftpd* pure-ftpd* ruby* spamassassin* squirrelmail*
<omitted>
Regarding the third-party repository I agree with deep27ak: it's safe to not install so many untrusted repos, since they may bring to conflicts among different packages or different releases of the same package providing the same files. In this case it would be advisable to install the yum priorities plugin, by which you can assign a higher priority to the official repository and a lower priority to the untrusted ones. Take a look at http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities for more details.

Thanks a lot colucix for bringing this point. You are right about the exclude command. I did'nt noticed that. My issue got resolved by deleting the exclude command. This exclude command was not there in the second server and hence all the php plugins was getting installed there......

The thing was this server is a VPS server. I am not sure why the tech team excluded PHP...maybe they dont wanted to tamper the cpanel/whm interface.

Anyways thank a lot colucix

Last edited by fear_matrix; 11-11-2011 at 03:36 AM.
 
Old 11-11-2011, 03:35 AM   #19
fear_matrix
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep27ak View Post
can you show the repo file of that server?

and are both the machines on same network?
Thanks deepak for your support but my issue got resolved by deleting the exclude command which was not allowing me to install all the PHP plugins.
 
Old 11-11-2011, 03:43 AM   #20
colucix
Moderator
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Bologna
Distribution: CentOS 6.5 OpenSuSE 12.3
Posts: 10,458

Rep: Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941Reputation: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by fear_matrix View Post
The thing was this server is a VPS server. I am not sure why the tech team excluded PHP...maybe they dont wanted to tamper the cpanel/whm interface.

Anyways thank a lot colucix
You're welcome! Indeed, they should have a valid reason for adding such a long exclude list. Anyway since you installed some missing dependencies, most likely you did not update existing packages, but installed new ones. It would be better to test the functionality of the VPS server at this point, then you can always restore the exclude list to prevent further updates (as originally meant by the tech guys).

Also remember to check the file /var/log/yum.log which register every step of the yum activity: in case of problems you can always restore the previous situation by erasing the newly installed packages and reinstalling the erased (or updated) ones (if any).
 
  


Reply

Tags
centos, linux, yum


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CentOS 5.2 yum repository error - Please help tezarin Linux - Software 7 01-07-2009 12:18 PM
LXer: Creating A Local Yum Repository (CentOS) LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 06-18-2007 07:01 AM
Redhat AS server upgrade via Yum using CentOS repository? yilang Red Hat 1 04-15-2006 10:02 PM
CentOS' YUM repository not updating? guest cAos 3 03-19-2005 03:57 AM
after updating RHEL AS 4 w/ CentOS' YUM repository.... guest cAos 2 03-17-2005 10:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration