LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Server (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/)
-   -   lame mp3 ret hat fedora 5 (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/lame-mp3-ret-hat-fedora-5-a-662725/)

cyberfruits 08-14-2008 07:00 AM

lame mp3 ret hat fedora 5
 
hi
i am trying to strean mp3 music using icast and lame in a fedora 5 red hat server.
but apperantly fedory 5 does not allow it because of copyright.any body know a fix?
thanks

jomen 08-14-2008 07:25 AM

Quote:

but apperantly fedory 5 does not allow it because of copyright.
What makes you think that?

cyberfruits 08-14-2008 12:44 PM

that is what we where told
thanks

trickykid 08-14-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jomen (Post 3247265)
What makes you think that?

Well, by default they don't ship with support, it is allowable though, you just have to do it yourself.

Fedora Core 5 is sort of old, you may want to upgrade. I get all my packages to support media files like mp3 from livna.org

jomen 08-14-2008 01:03 PM

I was trying to extract some more info from you by asking this.
We (that is just me now ;)) believe that you where told wrong things.

We know that you can't stream using icecast and lame.
Do We know anything else? What you tried for example?

cyberfruits 08-15-2008 03:11 AM

i will be getting more info from the tech person but here is what he said so far:D

"I already looked there its not the program its the mp3 encoder in fedora.
I installed another icecast compatible player still the same issue will not recognise or play mp3s"

any idea?
thanks

jomen 08-15-2008 03:47 AM

I misunderstood your first post - was thinking of something different when you mentioned copyright.

Anyway - I found this thread:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...44#post2389944
which in turn references this:
http://brandonhutchinson.com/Fedora_Helper.html
May it help you!

BTW: Fedora 5 is not exactly recent...but the problem you have is not solved by upgrading. See trickykid's post.

trickykid 08-15-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jomen (Post 3248297)
BTW: Fedora 5 is not exactly recent...but the problem you have is not solved by upgrading. See trickykid's post.

Yeah, I only mention to possibly upgrade cause finding the support for MP3 is going to be harder with an older distribution rather from a newer one. ;)

cyberfruits 08-25-2008 04:26 AM

applied fix still no luck
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jomen (Post 3248297)
I misunderstood your first post - was thinking of something different when you mentioned copyright.

Anyway - I found this thread:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...44#post2389944
which in turn references this:
http://brandonhutchinson.com/Fedora_Helper.html
May it help you!

BTW: Fedora 5 is not exactly recent...but the problem you have is not solved by upgrading. See trickykid's post.

Sorry if I come over stupid but I am a windows person and not a Linux Person
The person who deals with the Linux now claims that he applied the fix and it now apperntly wont work because there is no sound card in the server
this is what he says :- 'still having problems with the sound on mp3s, doesnt seem to be jsut mp3s when I attempted hardware descovery for soundscards, I get no devices found.'
Surely as it is a server and the sound is relayed/played over the internet with an http: IP address it makes no difference if it has a sound card or not?
Also real player 'stories' are being played and one can hear them clearly on the website.
Furthermore I play MPG movies on our websites and the sound plays there. So if these sounds works surely the other sounds (mp3) should work as well.
Could one not assume that our person may not quite know what he is doing with mp3 file and streaming?
Any help would be highly appreciated.
thanks

trickykid 08-25-2008 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberfruits (Post 3258771)
Sorry if I come over stupid but I am a windows person and not a Linux Person
The person who deals with the Linux now claims that he applied the fix and it now apperntly wont work because there is no sound card in the server
this is what he says :- 'still having problems with the sound on mp3s, doesnt seem to be jsut mp3s when I attempted hardware descovery for soundscards, I get no devices found.'
Surely as it is a server and the sound is relayed/played over the internet with an http: IP address it makes no difference if it has a sound card or not?
Also real player 'stories' are being played and one can hear them clearly on the website.
Furthermore I play MPG movies on our websites and the sound plays there. So if these sounds works surely the other sounds (mp3) should work as well.
Could one not assume that our person may not quite know what he is doing with mp3 file and streaming?
Any help would be highly appreciated.
thanks

A server providing media files does not need it's own sound card in order for these to work, that would be on the client end. If you are not getting sound from a media stream or the like on your machine from an http server, that would most likely be an issue with your client machine supporting the type of streaming media rather than the server.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.