LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
edderkop
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Darwin, FreeBSD
Posts: 18

Rep: Reputation: 0
Keeping sendmail from stripping manually inserted header


I've got an OpenEMM installation to send newsletters, which is working fine. The problem is that I need to use DKIM to sign my outbound mails, so as to not end up in any spam filters. As OpenEMM itself doesn't support DKIM I wrote a perl script that inserts the required header and moves the generated qf and df files to the sendmail mailqueue.
The mails get sent but before that sendmail removes the inserted DKIM headers again.
I put quite some effort into learning how to set up sendmail and its basic administration but this particular problem beats me. Can someone give me a hint why sendmail does that and where I can change this behavior? I've got a deadline to meet, so any help we be greatly appreciated! :-)

BTW: Unfortunately, I do have to use sendmail as it's the only MTA supported by OpenEMM.

Thanks in advance!

edderkop
 
Old 10-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,165
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2807Reputation: 2807Reputation: 2807Reputation: 2807Reputation: 2807Reputation: 2807Reputation: 2807Reputation: 2807Reputation: 2807Reputation: 2807Reputation: 2807
Does this: http://brneurosci.org/linuxsetup97.html explain it (using DKIM milter at http://sourceforge.net/projects/dkim-milter/)?
 
Old 10-22-2009, 02:56 AM   #3
edderkop
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Darwin, FreeBSD
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
I do, in fact, use the DKIM milter - and that might actually be the problem, I'll try disabling it in the sendmail.mc and see if my header still gets removed.
I guess I could have it signed by the milter but we want to have a more flexible approach by implementing our own signer functionality so that the signed messages can either be sent to the system-wide sendmail (the way it's handled now) or back to OpenEMM's own sendmail process. The problem is that OpenEMM uses a home-brewed sendmail implementation and the various parts of the mailer functionality (such as generating the mailings, adding headers, passing the mailings to the MTA...) are distributed on several different parts of the source distribution, implemented in Java, Python and C. As im somewhat proficient in Java, I tried to implement the signer functionality in the source code but finally gave up as it turned out that that solution would be far more complicated and thus time-consuming than I had assumed initially. It's feasible but I need a quicker solution, at least for the time being. So I got the idea to interrupt the sending process, grab the generated mailings, sign them and move them on to the system-wide sendmail process.
In fact, I had totally forgotten about the DKIM-milter and anyway it doesn't appear to be correctly set up as my outbound mails don't get signed. But the plugin might be responsible for removing the headers.

Anyway, thanks for your reply. I will post my progress here.
 
Old 10-23-2009, 01:40 AM   #4
edderkop
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Darwin, FreeBSD
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I found the mistake - my header was malformed. Everything's working fine now. Thanks for your help, unSpawn. :-)
 
Old 04-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
hydrofoil
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
More detail please

"I got the idea to interrupt the sending process, grab the generated mailings, sign them and move them on to the system-wide sendmail process."

Can you give more specific detail to code modification please?

Thank you very much.
 
  


Reply

Tags
headers, mta, sendmail


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stripping lines versus stripping bytes in a bash subshell. poorman_installer Programming 9 10-21-2009 08:36 AM
[SOLVED] Bash and netcat: Stripping http header Prokke Programming 9 10-05-2009 02:58 AM
adding access.db manually on sendmail.cf dody1313 Solaris / OpenSolaris 4 10-02-2008 02:01 PM
Sendmail 'From' header rewrite J_Szucs Linux - Software 7 09-10-2003 10:45 PM
Manually Spool into sendmail edbravo Linux - Newbie 6 02-15-2002 12:41 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration