LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Gil@LQ
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: India /Hyderabad
Distribution: RedHat, CentOS
Posts: 262

Rep: Reputation: 1
Lightbulb "init: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes."


First of all HHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIII to all of my new friends on linuxquestions.org. i started posting from today. wish me all the best.
i was installing all the servers and unistalling when i was practing but suddently i lost gui and only cmd line is working and getting the error "init: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes." for every 10 or fifteen min. please help me.


Last edited by Gil@LQ; 08-05-2011 at 11:19 AM.
 
Old 08-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
tommylovell
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Fedora, Redhat
Posts: 372

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
'init' is essentially the first process that runs on the system. If you do a display like 'ps- ef', it is PID 1.
Depending on what distro you are running and what level you are at, init uses a file /etc/inittab to start daemons at initialization or restart them if they crash (respawn).

'systemd' is a replacement for the traditional System V init. The man page for systemd (man systemd) says
Quote:
systemd is a system and service manager for Linux operating systems. When run as first process on boot (as PID 1), it
acts as init system that brings up and maintains userspace services.
Whether your system is using init or systemd, what has happened is that 'x', the Linux graphical environment has crashed, init (or systemd) is trying to restart it because it is defined with respawn, and it is repeatedly crashing. After it has crashed so many times in a short period, the system decides to disable the respawn mechanism for 5 minutes.

Has the system installed successfully and allowed you to boot and log into a graphical console? Or does this happen every time you install?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
Gil@LQ
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: India /Hyderabad
Distribution: RedHat, CentOS
Posts: 262

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylovell View Post
'init' is essentially the first process that runs on the system. If you do a display like 'ps- ef', it is PID 1.
Depending on what distro you are running and what level you are at, init uses a file /etc/inittab to start daemons at initialization or restart them if they crash (respawn).

'systemd' is a replacement for the traditional System V init. The man page for systemd (man systemd) says


Whether your system is using init or systemd, what has happened is that 'x', the Linux graphical environment has crashed, init (or systemd) is trying to restart it because it is defined with respawn, and it is repeatedly crashing. After it has crashed so many times in a short period, the system decides to disable the respawn mechanism for 5 minutes.

Has the system installed successfully and allowed you to boot and log into a graphical console? Or does this happen every time you install?
istalled successfully and was working fine but when i was trying to install send mail squirrel mail suddenly i got this issue.


Thank you very much in adv

Last edited by Gil@LQ; 08-07-2011 at 08:47 AM.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
tommylovell
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Fedora, Redhat
Posts: 372

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
You have two options.

The first, assuming you have a maintenance contract with Red Hat, is to open a problem with them.

The second option would be to start a new thread that is titled "Squirrel Mail crashes X" and describe exactly what you are doing. (I think starting it in "Linux - Desktop" would be more appropriate, not Linux - Server, as most servers don't even run a GUI.)

Don't forget to mention your distro and version info (ie. RHELx.x). (This would not be considered a "duplicate post" as the topic is considerably different from this thread.) Hopefully someone with Squirrel Mail expertise will have some advice.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
PTrenholme
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Olympia, WA, USA
Distribution: Fedora, (K)Ubuntu
Posts: 4,141

Rep: Reputation: 329Reputation: 329Reputation: 329Reputation: 329
The "respawning too fast" message is telling you that your X-server (or xorg.conf file) is miss-configured, and the X-server is crashing when it tries to start and trying to restart too fast or too often.

From the command line, look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see why the X-server crashed, and fix the problem.
 
Old 08-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Gil@LQ
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: India /Hyderabad
Distribution: RedHat, CentOS
Posts: 262

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylovell View Post
You have two options.

The first, assuming you have a maintenance contract with Red Hat, is to open a problem with them.

The second option would be to start a new thread that is titled "Squirrel Mail crashes X" and describe exactly what you are doing. (I think starting it in "Linux - Desktop" would be more appropriate, not Linux - Server, as most servers don't even run a GUI.)

Don't forget to mention your distro and version info (ie. RHELx.x). (This would not be considered a "duplicate post" as the topic is considerably different from this thread.) Hopefully someone with Squirrel Mail expertise will have some advice.
Hi tommy you were right, squirrel mail crashed, so i googled and finally found that insalling xorg,gdm and gnome will cure it certainly it did. Thank you for you response by the way it was rhel 5 . cheers have a nice time.
 
Old 08-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
Gil@LQ
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: India /Hyderabad
Distribution: RedHat, CentOS
Posts: 262

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTrenholme View Post
The "respawning too fast" message is telling you that your X-server (or xorg.conf file) is miss-configured, and the X-server is crashing when it tries to start and trying to restart too fast or too often.

From the command line, look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see why the X-server crashed, and fix the problem.
it was correct i installed xorg,gdm and gnome and it's done. thank's for your hint.

---------- Post added 08-08-11 at 10:27 AM ----------

thank you
 
Old 06-04-2013, 03:49 AM   #8
anand4everurs
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2013
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Wink Solved

Hi there,

I had the same issue.

But I solved it .. yeayh

You said:
hevilp wrote:

initab
"x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/lxdm >/dev/null 2>&1"

I was missing a "s",
and you are, too.

It is not /usr/bin/lxdm
but /usr/sbin/lxdm

wrong

x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/lxdm >/dev/null 2>&1

right

x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/lxdm >& /dev/null


cheers,
Anand Gupta
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
INIT: Id "a02" Respawning too fast; disabled for 5 minutes specialblend Red Hat 4 03-29-2011 04:51 PM
"cant login, login incorrect"init : Id "x" respawning too fast:disabled for 5 minutes allenwoxx Linux - Newbie 1 11-21-2008 10:45 AM
X Server broken. start w/ "INIT: ld "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes&q tektone Linux - Hardware 5 07-25-2007 07:18 PM
FC7 with XEN : init: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes erikjan Fedora - Installation 0 07-11-2007 03:08 PM
INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes" Lego3 Linux - Software 0 06-16-2004 08:01 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration