LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #1
jefn
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 37

Rep: Reputation: 15
How to set up a home DNS server


Hi folks,

Please I need urgent help. I have a home network which has 5 pcs
and I have linux DNS server which should resolves the private pcs requests for internal requests. If the request is outside (to the internet), my home DNS server should asks for help from my ISP DNS server which has the IP 192.168.0.1. My domain name could be "jefn.com".

Now, how can I setup my DNS server ?
I do not know how to do?
BTW, I use Scientific Linux which may have different commands ....

Thanks in advance,
Jef
 
Old 03-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
AlucardZero
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: USA
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 4,608

Rep: Reputation: 517Reputation: 517Reputation: 517Reputation: 517Reputation: 517Reputation: 517
Google Bind9 tutorials.

And no, it's not urgent, we are volunteering our time for you, not being paid.
 
Old 03-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728
Please do not post duplicate threads---what you needed to do in this case was to simply change the title of your other thread.

I've reported you first thread for closure---and we'll keep this one (with the good title)

Good Luck and Welcome!!
 
Old 03-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
jefn
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 37

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
please

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlucardZero View Post
Google Bind9 tutorials.

And no, it's not urgent, we are volunteering our time for you, not being paid.
First of all, thanks
secondly, please, I didn't post it to say "it is not urgent or". if you can help, i will be thankful but even the forums are not for useless replies like yours. So, let others participate who really wanna share with and help others. The reason why I put it urgent is that I have an assignment which needs DNS server setup and I haven't done it before and there is a deadline and I cannot start doing the assignment unless the network is ready.....

Last edited by jefn; 03-21-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
 
Old 03-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
jefn
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 37

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellany View Post
Please do not post duplicate threads---what you needed to do in this case was to simply change the title of your other thread.

I've reported you first thread for closure---and we'll keep this one (with the good title)

Good Luck and Welcome!!
Sorry for that but I tried to modify the title and I couldn't because of the time dedicated to change the thread...
 
Old 03-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
salasi
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Directly above centre of the earth, UK
Distribution: SuSE, plus some hopping
Posts: 3,887

Rep: Reputation: 774Reputation: 774Reputation: 774Reputation: 774Reputation: 774Reputation: 774Reputation: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefn View Post
...please I need urgent help....
Had you read http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-forum-103564/
(in this case discussing titles rather than the body of the text, but the same factors apply, even if to a lesser extent
Quote:
...swhould be avoided at all times...."urgent linux doesn't work"
"i need help, its urgent"
) you would know that the word urgent is a well-known irritant (I have to say it doesn't irritate me as much as apparently it irritates others, but that's not the point; this is a communty and you have crossed the agreed line)

Quote:
The reason why I put it urgent is that I have an assignment which needs DNS server setup and I haven't done it before and there is a deadline and I cannot start doing the assignment unless the network is ready.....
Now you are making it worse. You are invoking, probably accidentally, the 'homework exclusion' and your description of the network has not been one which actually needs dns to work internally.

Quote:
...help from my ISP DNS server which has the IP 192.168.0.1...
oh, come on! You might want to say why you have this peculiar set-up which wouldn't normally be practicable.
 
Old 03-22-2009, 12:15 AM   #7
siggma
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 19
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
All urgency aside, I'll be happy to help.
Quote:
ISP DNS server which has the IP 192.168.0.1
Not likely. That's a prohibited address on the internet. Perhaps you're referring to an external hardware router (cisco/linksys etc.)?

From your description I suspect you don't really need a DNS server. You can share your internet connection with all your PC's and they can all talk to each other using a simple hub connected between your hardware router and the internet or your web server.

Internet->Router->8 port hub->PC's
Enable DHCP in the router and off you go...

Take a peek here: http://www.trbailey.net/tech/iptables.html for more information if you really need a DHCP server.
-Tom

Last edited by siggma; 03-22-2009 at 12:22 AM.
 
Old 03-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #8
jefn
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 37

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by salasi View Post
Had you read http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-forum-103564/
(in this case discussing titles rather than the body of the text, but the same factors apply, even if to a lesser extent ) you would know that the word urgent is a well-known irritant (I have to say it doesn't irritate me as much as apparently it irritates others, but that's not the point; this is a communty and you have crossed the agreed line)



Now you are making it worse. You are invoking, probably accidentally, the 'homework exclusion' and your description of the network has not been one which actually needs dns to work internally.



oh, come on! You might want to say why you have this peculiar set-up which wouldn't normally be practicable.

Hey, man. I'm new to linux and I haven't ever worked with.... if you are an expert in linux, please don't underestimate others. I am only 18 years old and I still learn as all people learn new things in their life....

regarding the assignment, this is not an assignment, my assignment depends on this ...
so if i setup this network, i start doing my assignments...

REMEMBER: THESE FORUMS DO NOT ASK YOU TO TEACH OTHER HOW TO BEHAVE, THEY ASK YOU TO SHARE IDEAS, SO PLEASE KEEP IT TO YOURSELF.
 
Old 03-22-2009, 02:00 AM   #9
jefn
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 37

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggma View Post
All urgency aside, I'll be happy to help.

Not likely. That's a prohibited address on the internet. Perhaps you're referring to an external hardware router (cisco/linksys etc.)?

From your description I suspect you don't really need a DNS server. You can share your internet connection with all your PC's and they can all talk to each other using a simple hub connected between your hardware router and the internet or your web server.

Internet->Router->8 port hub->PC's
Enable DHCP in the router and off you go...

Take a peek here: http://www.trbailey.net/tech/iptables.html for more information if you really need a DHCP server.
-Tom
IT is so polite from you to help.... you are really distinguished ..

Yes, you are true, 192.168.0.1 is not my ISP DNS, it is my wireless router.

I need how to setup a home DNS server with scientific linux. what files should I modify .... because I searched in google and I found alot of files should be modified and then i got lost especially with some Linux OSs that differ from S.Linux...

again, thanks my friend for your help.
 
Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 AM   #10
siggma
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 19
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefn View Post
IT is so polite from you to help.... you are really distinguished ..

Yes, you are true, 192.168.0.1 is not my ISP DNS, it is my wireless router.

I need how to setup a home DNS server with scientific linux. what files should I modify .... because I searched in google and I found alot of files should be modified and then i got lost especially with some Linux OSs that differ from S.Linux...
You'll need to answer a few questions first.

I found this reference to "Scientific Linux" so I'll assume its' what you are using:

Quote:
SL is a Linux release put together by Fermilab, CERN, and various other labs and universities around the world. Its primary purpose is to reduce duplicated effort of the labs, and to have a common install base for the various experimenters.

The base SL distribution is basically Enterprise Linux, recompiled from source.
This means it's a custom installation but it's based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux & Fedora. Fedora is the FREE version of Enterprise Linux. If it's FREE it's most likely based on Fedora.

I noticed SF has mailing lists. Being a custom install I would ask in the mailing list first. It might get you working faster.

There are numerous tools that can make the job of configuring a DNS server much faster. You can probably install Webmin and have a better view of the overall DNS server options.

To install Webmin download the latest RPM and install it, then follow the instructions for logging in through a web browser.

Code:
From the Webmin site, this RPM will probably work.

RPM suitable for Redhat, Fedora, CentOS, SuSE or Mandrake Linux
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin-1.470-1.noarch.rpm
If that doesn't help you, reply more and we'll see what we can do.
-Tom
 
Old 03-23-2009, 05:34 AM   #11
hexahost
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai - INDIA
Distribution: CentOS
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
Smile

jefn,

My two cents here.

1) Is your IP is Static / Dynamic (Real Ip which is used to connect Internet, not your adl router internal Ip which will start with 192.xxx.xxx.xxx)

2) If it is Static, you need to install 3 rpm packages (bind, bind-utils, caching-nameserver and bind-chroot). bind-chroot is needed only when you are using a distribution based on RHEL4 or later.
2a) The mail config file is named.cond ( location /etc/named.cond or /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf depends on your RPM).
2b) Edit named.conf to configure your forward and/or reverse lookup zones
2c)read man pages about bind, caching-nameserver. If you dont know dns jargon like forward zone, reverse zone, PTR, A, MX, NS, dns master, dns slave, dns cache ... etc try to learn them (google search)

3) If your Ip is dynamic, get a dynamic dns subscription from a dns provider. Some are free and some are chargeable.

If you learn dns and if you can say you can configure dns server, You know almost 25% of internet technologies.

My humble request : Any online community will have its rules, dos and don'ts. Every successful community is a mixture of experts and beginners. Please try to follow the rules of a community like this.
 
Old 03-24-2009, 01:59 AM   #12
jefn
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 37

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggma View Post
You'll need to answer a few questions first.

I found this reference to "Scientific Linux" so I'll assume its' what you are using:



This means it's a custom installation but it's based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux & Fedora. Fedora is the FREE version of Enterprise Linux. If it's FREE it's most likely based on Fedora.

I noticed SF has mailing lists. Being a custom install I would ask in the mailing list first. It might get you working faster.

There are numerous tools that can make the job of configuring a DNS server much faster. You can probably install Webmin and have a better view of the overall DNS server options.

To install Webmin download the latest RPM and install it, then follow the instructions for logging in through a web browser.

Code:
From the Webmin site, this RPM will probably work.

RPM suitable for Redhat, Fedora, CentOS, SuSE or Mandrake Linux
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin-1.470-1.noarch.rpm
If that doesn't help you, reply more and we'll see what we can do.
-Tom

Thanks my friend .........
 
Old 03-24-2009, 02:01 AM   #13
jefn
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 37

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexahost View Post
jefn,

My two cents here.

1) Is your IP is Static / Dynamic (Real Ip which is used to connect Internet, not your adl router internal Ip which will start with 192.xxx.xxx.xxx)

2) If it is Static, you need to install 3 rpm packages (bind, bind-utils, caching-nameserver and bind-chroot). bind-chroot is needed only when you are using a distribution based on RHEL4 or later.
2a) The mail config file is named.cond ( location /etc/named.cond or /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf depends on your RPM).
2b) Edit named.conf to configure your forward and/or reverse lookup zones
2c)read man pages about bind, caching-nameserver. If you dont know dns jargon like forward zone, reverse zone, PTR, A, MX, NS, dns master, dns slave, dns cache ... etc try to learn them (google search)

3) If your Ip is dynamic, get a dynamic dns subscription from a dns provider. Some are free and some are chargeable.

If you learn dns and if you can say you can configure dns server, You know almost 25% of internet technologies.

My humble request : Any online community will have its rules, dos and don'ts. Every successful community is a mixture of experts and beginners. Please try to follow the rules of a community like this.
Thanks my friend ........ and I agree with you in the last comment but some people don't know that there are beginners who learn technology and even the online forums rules .....
 
Old 03-25-2009, 03:31 AM   #14
siggma
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 19
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Once again. For an internal network you don't need a DNS server. DNS is really only necessary for a server that represents additional SERVERS like an ISP that sells web accounts, not a peer to peer network. If you only have 5 local computers just use the /etc/hosts file. Example below:



Quote:
127.0.0.1 localhost # this one is necessary, don't remove it.
216.808.212.401 webserver # this would be your web server if you have one
192.168.1.1 gateway # this is the internet gateway IP
192.168.1.100 mypc1 #First PC
192.168.1.101 mypc2 #Second PC
192.168.1.103 mypc3 #Third PC

#Your addresses may be different.

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

If this installation is based on Fedora or RHEL and it has a desktop, it probably already has a DNS server installed. You might check out Avahi or even Samba if you need windows connectivity.

If you'll describe the network layout we can help you better.
Example:

I a have a web server at ip: 202.xxx.xxx.xxx
The web server has two NIC's installed.
NIC one is eth0 on 202.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
NIC two is eth1 on 192.168.1.1 configured as a gateway
I have ipv4 forwarding enabled in /etc/sysctl
I am using IPTables to NAT 5 internal computers

Here is the problem: yada yada yada...
-Tom

Last edited by siggma; 03-25-2009 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Added clarity and request for net info
 
Old 03-25-2009, 03:50 AM   #15
billymayday
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuse, Slack, Gentoo, Debian, Arch, PCBSD
Posts: 6,678

Rep: Reputation: 122Reputation: 122
Perhaps this will help http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/w...onfiguring_DNS
 
  


Reply

Tags
dhcp, dns, router


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
want to set up a home server mattycakes Linux - Newbie 2 12-08-2007 09:14 PM
home server set-up spboy Linux - General 7 12-13-2005 01:21 AM
DNS server at home fbfd1338 Linux - Networking 6 10-07-2004 08:18 AM
Home DNS Server khurtwilliams Linux - Networking 5 06-05-2004 11:37 AM
need help to set up caching only dns server to with bogus DNS entries ullas Linux - Networking 1 10-28-2003 01:54 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration