LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
wakkana12
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 171

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question Heartbeat auto-start problem


hi guys,

so i've successfully setup a 2node cluster with heartbeat the only problem is that when the server1 stop the server2 will take over but when the server1 goes live again the server2 is still active. is this normal? or the server2 should give way since the server1 is the master.

and the other thing is that when the server1 goes live and i restart the server2 the server1 doesn't take over. i think i should make a script so that it would run this on bootup.
Code:
/etc/init.d/heartbeat start
could someone help me? i'm kinda new to this things..
 
Old 04-21-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
EricTRA
Guru
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Gibraltar, Gibraltar
Distribution: Fedora 20 with Awesome WM
Posts: 6,805
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291
Hello,

What's the value of your auto_failback setting in ha.cf? You can set auto_failback either to on or off. If set to on and the primary node fails, the secondary node will 'failback' to its secondary standby state when the primary node returns. If set to off, when the primary node comes back, it will be the secondary.

Kind regards,

Eric
 
Old 04-21-2010, 02:03 AM   #3
wakkana12
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 171

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
big thanks!! the tutorial that i followed doesn't explain what the auto_failback is for.

another question how can i lessen the interval of checking of the other node if it is alive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTRA View Post
Hello,

What's the value of your auto_failback setting in ha.cf? You can set auto_failback either to on or off. If set to on and the primary node fails, the secondary node will 'failback' to its secondary standby state when the primary node returns. If set to off, when the primary node comes back, it will be the secondary.

Kind regards,

Eric
 
Old 04-21-2010, 02:33 AM   #4
EricTRA
Guru
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Gibraltar, Gibraltar
Distribution: Fedora 20 with Awesome WM
Posts: 6,805
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291
Hi,

The 'keepalive' parameter in the ha.cf file defines the interval between checks (the time between heartbeats measured in seconds), the 'deadtime' parameter is the time to wait without hearing from a cluster node before declaring the problem host as dead and is also measured in seconds. Keep in mind that the ha.cf file, excluding a couple of parameters, should be identical on all nodes in your cluster. Also the order of the parameters is of importance. You can read a lot in the documentation that is installed on your system, normally in /usr/share/doc/heartbeat. That documentation has proven its worth several times to me in the past.

Kind regards,

Eric
 
Old 04-21-2010, 03:04 AM   #5
wakkana12
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 171

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
again thanks.. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTRA View Post
Hi,

The 'keepalive' parameter in the ha.cf file defines the interval between checks (the time between heartbeats measured in seconds), the 'deadtime' parameter is the time to wait without hearing from a cluster node before declaring the problem host as dead and is also measured in seconds. Keep in mind that the ha.cf file, excluding a couple of parameters, should be identical on all nodes in your cluster. Also the order of the parameters is of importance. You can read a lot in the documentation that is installed on your system, normally in /usr/share/doc/heartbeat. That documentation has proven its worth several times to me in the past.

Kind regards,

Eric
 
Old 04-21-2010, 03:22 AM   #6
EricTRA
Guru
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Gibraltar, Gibraltar
Distribution: Fedora 20 with Awesome WM
Posts: 6,805
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291
You're welcome, that's what this community is all about, helping out where we can

Kind regards,

Eric
 
Old 04-22-2010, 12:59 AM   #7
wakkana12
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 171

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
nice.. ^^

anyway i have another problem. im trying to install drbd in my system but to no avail.. i tried this command
Code:
apt-get install drbd8-utils drbd8-module-source drbd8-source build-essential
and it returns an error
Code:
E: Package drbd8-module-source has no installation candidate
what does this mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTRA View Post
You're welcome, that's what this community is all about, helping out where we can

Kind regards,

Eric
 
Old 04-22-2010, 01:10 AM   #8
EricTRA
Guru
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Gibraltar, Gibraltar
Distribution: Fedora 20 with Awesome WM
Posts: 6,805
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291
Hello,

The error you get means that the package you are looking for in the repositories doesn't exist. From the fact that you use apt-get I assume you're using Debian or a derivative of it. The package in question is a virtual package and doesn't exist physically in a repository. You can read more about it here:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/drbd8-module-source
and
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-pol...#s-virtual_pkg.

And the last statement is just what it says. This community is here for all Linux users, big and small, just to help each other out when solving problems.

Kind regards,

Eric
 
Old 04-22-2010, 01:24 AM   #9
wakkana12
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 171

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
yeah im using debian lenny on the 2 nodes. since the package is virtual how can i make my computer point to where it is since its really not on the repository?

sorry if i have many questions. i just got on to linux for a couple of months. this site really helped me a lot.. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTRA View Post
Hello,

The error you get means that the package you are looking for in the repositories doesn't exist. From the fact that you use apt-get I assume you're using Debian or a derivative of it. The package in question is a virtual package and doesn't exist physically in a repository. You can read more about it here:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/drbd8-module-source
and
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-pol...#s-virtual_pkg.

And the last statement is just what it says. This community is here for all Linux users, big and small, just to help each other out when solving problems.

Kind regards,

Eric
 
Old 04-22-2010, 01:30 AM   #10
EricTRA
Guru
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Gibraltar, Gibraltar
Distribution: Fedora 20 with Awesome WM
Posts: 6,805
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291Reputation: 1291
Hello,

If you read the links I posted you'll see that drbd8-module-source is provided in drbd8-source (the first link I posted), so you will not find it separately in the repositories. Just install drbd8-source and you'll have what you need. The explanation of virtual package can be read in the second link I posted. Just use this command and you should be fine:

Code:
apt-get install drbd8-utils drbd8-source build-essential
And don't worry about having a lot of questions, let's hope that LQ can continue to provide the answers.

Kind regards,

Eric
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heartbeat cluster won't recognize other node, resource won't start. slinx Linux - Enterprise 2 04-08-2010 11:48 PM
Heartbeat cluster won't recognize other node, resource won't start. slinx Linux - Enterprise 1 03-31-2010 12:19 PM
Auto start problem Apache pronov Linux - Newbie 1 08-07-2009 03:49 AM
how to auto detect the service of sendmail server using heartbeat dhanju Linux - Networking 1 10-24-2005 06:05 AM
KDE auto start script problem Coolrunr Programming 2 09-08-2003 10:55 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration