Linux - ServerThis forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I have searched through Google, Apache & PHP websites and the distro support forums for an answer. So far I have either missed the obvious or I have not asked the right question.
I have installed CentOS 5 (twice) and Fedora 7 (once to confirm problem). Using the Anaconda installer, I configured Apache to run PHP. For certainty, I have checked off all the modules for both mysql and php.
The http.conf file looks fine. It loads an included php.conf located in the /etc/http/conf.d directory. That file includes the line "LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5.so". The AddType and AddHandler lines are also loaded.
I have opened up the firewall for port 80. I have disabled SELinux.
I have written a quick test file (index.html) that requests phpinfo() as follows:
PHP Test begins
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
PHP Test ends
The browser only returns the "PHP Test begins" and "PHP Test ends" text strings. Checking the page source reveals that Apache has passed the source directly to the browser without interpretting the phpinfo request.
I am stumped, any theories on what the problem could be?
I renamed the index.html to index.php and stripped out the html stuff. To my surprise, it worked. That is different behaviour than what I expected. I understood that Apache would send the php code to the interpreter and it would return completed code back to Apache. At least, that has been the case for anything I have done previously.
I am puzzled now. I will have to do some research on upgrading my php skills. Thank you kindly for your help with this.
The reason why your php code in the index.html didn't work properly is because your php config file was probably set to only regard files with a *.php extension as having php code. This is the default behaviour on most apache+php installations I have seen. I have noticed that the phpinfo() function, works with or without the html tags.
I added this line to my httpd.conf to solve this problem. It will allow PHP embedded in .html or .htm file to be processed. You will be able to use .php .html or .htm and they all will process the php.