LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Server (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/)
-   -   drbd failed to install in debian lenny. (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/drbd-failed-to-install-in-debian-lenny-803439/)

wakkana12 04-22-2010 12:45 AM

drbd failed to install in debian lenny.
 
guys i need some help.. :(

i tried installing the drbd for replication of data.. i found some tutorials but when i tried installing it i spits out an error of
Code:

E: Package drbd8-module-source has no installation candidate
this is what i use to install it
Code:

apt-get install drbd8-utils drbd8-module-source drbd8-source build-essential
please help..
thnaks,
ron

EricTRA 04-22-2010 01:14 AM

Hello wakkana12,

Please don't 'double-post'! You pointed out the same question in your other thread which is still open. I provided an answer in that thread. Keeping relevant things together in one thread only is easier to follow up on it, both for you and for us.

If you feel that this is a problem that deserves a new thread than please mark the other one as solved if you consider it as such using the Thread Tools.

Kind regards,

Eric

wakkana12 04-22-2010 01:27 AM

sorry my bad, im gonna close the other thread,

its just that i thought it might be faster to get a reply.


Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTRA (Post 3943572)
Hello wakkana12,

Please don't 'double-post'! You pointed out the same question in your other thread which is still open. I provided an answer in that thread. Keeping relevant things together in one thread only is easier to follow up on it, both for you and for us.

If you feel that this is a problem that deserves a new thread than please mark the other one as solved if you consider it as such using the Thread Tools.

Kind regards,

Eric


wakkana12 04-22-2010 01:27 AM

yeah im using debian lenny on the 2 nodes. since the package is virtual how can i make my computer point to where it is since its really not on the repository?

sorry if i have many questions. i just got on to linux for a couple of months. this site really helped me a lot.. ^^

EricTRA 04-22-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakkana12 (Post 3943589)
yeah im using debian lenny on the 2 nodes. since the package is virtual how can i make my computer point to where it is since its really not on the repository?

sorry if i have many questions. i just got on to linux for a couple of months. this site really helped me a lot.. ^^

Sorry, I didn't notice you marked the other thread as solved, so I'll just copy my post on that thread here and continue on this one.

Hello,

If you read the links I posted you'll see that drbd8-module-source is provided in drbd8-source (the first link I posted), so you will not find it separately in the repositories. Just install drbd8-source and you'll have what you need. The explanation of virtual package can be read in the second link I posted. Just use this command and you should be fine:

Code:

apt-get install drbd8-utils drbd8-source build-essential
And don't worry about having a lot of questions, let's hope that LQ can continue to provide the answers.

Kind regards,

Eric

wakkana12 04-22-2010 01:45 AM

i was kinda confused earlier 'coz i went to the site of drbd and the command given there includes the drbd8-module-source so i was thinking that it's required to have that.

i'll continue installing, then if there's some more problem i'll just post it here.. ^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTRA (Post 3943592)
Sorry, I didn't notice you marked the other thread as solved, so I'll just copy my post on that thread here and continue on this one.

Hello,

If you read the links I posted you'll see that drbd8-module-source is provided in drbd8-source (the first link I posted), so you will not find it separately in the repositories. Just install drbd8-source and you'll have what you need. The explanation of virtual package can be read in the second link I posted. Just use this command and you should be fine:

Code:

apt-get install drbd8-utils drbd8-source build-essential
And don't worry about having a lot of questions, let's hope that LQ can continue to provide the answers.

Kind regards,

Eric


EricTRA 04-22-2010 01:50 AM

Hi,

Sometimes things can get pretty confusing indeed. I imagine that in an earlier stage the package existed and was needed to provide some functionality. Later on apparently the same or similar functionality got provided by the main source package, so the module became obsolete. I guess that's why it became a virtual package.

Kind regards,

Eric

wakkana12 04-22-2010 03:18 AM

right now i got the two hdd running and the installation went great thanks for EricTRA,

the only problem now is that i dont have a command mkreiserfs which makes the partition into a reiserfs.

whats the pros and cons of using a reiserfs? can i just make it to an ext3?

i've used the mkfs.ext3 to make it ext3 filesystem.. is it ok?

EricTRA 04-22-2010 03:40 AM

Hi,

Can you check if this command works:
Code:

mkfs.reiserfs -f /partition/yourpartitionname/
If it works you can check the validity of the filesystem with the file command:
Code:

file /partition/yourpartitionname/
As far as I know (and have read on packages.debian.org) the mkreiserfs is only used for building Debian installer images and not on an installed Debian system mkreiserfs-udeb.

Kind regards,

Eric

EricTRA 04-22-2010 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakkana12 (Post 3943680)
whats the pros and cons of using a reiserfs? can i just make it to an ext3?

Hello,

You can read this on Debian Administration or look up the differences in the Wiki. Clicking on a file system name takes you to more detail.

Kind regards,

Eric


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.