Linux - ServerThis forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Ok so in further looking at the issue, I found that windows was just using its old lease (which didnt have dns for some odd reason) and a full release(ipconfig /release) was required in order to show a network failure. All of dhcp has failed. It appears(from wireshark) that the problem is due to to the server not granting any more request, because I can see the clients asking for the dhcp address .
I am getting closer to the problem, it appears in /var/log/messages. When a client tries to make a request this output comes out:
Oct 29 18:23:11 cisconet dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 0.0.0.0 from YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY via eth5: unknown lease 0.0.0.0.
I have not made any recent changes to the server(other then the power going out to cause all of this...so I am unable to track changes that may have been made by someone else). In /var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases there are some leases . Also dhcpcd is running:
ps awx | grep dhcpd
2277 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/dhcpd
Do you see any trouble in the config above ? Also looking at the leases, it dose not appear that I am anywhere near the max based on the range.
Hmmm, in looking around it appears the windows client is doing something strange:
"That makes no sense at all. Clients just shouldn't do that. The
client is clearly broadcasting this packet, as it's being picked up by
What could be happening here is that the client is sending a
DHCPREQUEST with no requested-address option. In this case, piaddr(0)
would print "0.0.0.0". This is not valid according to RFC 2131.
Ok, so I have fixed it and the problem was clearly client side. The windows xp machines were requesting an improper address and were using cache before that. Doing an ipconfig /release on the clients then restarting the machine allows them to grab the proper ip.