Thanks for the idea but we're not using Windows for authentication on our Linux servers.
I did find one idea on the Internet that seems to have worked. It said that you need to be sure cron starts after ypbind and autofs. I restarted cron and everything started working. I looked in /etc/rc5.d and it appears cron was already starting after ypbind and autofs but I moved it to darn near last (S99crond) and inserted a sleep 30 in the start portion of the script just in case. I have seen problems where just making the process wait a bit has fixed a problem. Well, made the problem appear to go away, I was never able to find a root cause and I was too busy to spend large amounts of time troubleshooting an issues I could work around.
To give proper credit, here's the URL to the solution I found: