Linux - ServerThis forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
well, I found how to turn on debugging for courier-authdaemon in the config file. Here's what it now says for no reason:
Jan 6 21:59:39 raskolnikov authdaemond: authpam: trying this module
Jan 6 21:59:39 raskolnikov authdaemond: authpam: username 'firstname.lastname@example.org' not found in password file
Jan 6 21:59:39 raskolnikov authdaemond: authpam: REJECT - try next module
Jan 6 21:59:39 raskolnikov authdaemond: FAIL, all modules rejected
My guess is that it's trying to authenticate email@example.com whereas before it was authenticating the user davek. Are you sure nothing else was changed that could have caused this? (or would you expect to find a user firstname.lastname@example.org?)
lost another million hairs over this one. The annoying thing is it was my fault to begin with.
There's a line in /etc/courier/imapd:
I had changed this to 6thstreetradio.org from the default, and uncommented it. I didn't really read the comments around it explaining what it was. I figured "default domain, that's my domain!" But no. Apparently, this part is appended to the username when users try to log in using imap.
Add to that the fact that I didn't restart the server when I made the change. Therefore, when I _did_ restart the server, that bug crept in and wasn't found for many many hours. Classic.
The moral of the story is don't touch DEFDOMAIN in /etc/courier/imapd unless you have a complex setup where you're serving mail for multiple domains.