LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Server (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/)
-   -   Changing CUPS Print Orientation (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/changing-cups-print-orientation-792628/)

cmnorton 03-02-2010 09:11 AM

Changing CUPS Print Orientation
 
In Windows printing I can take an 11 X 17 report, and tell the print manager to rotate and size. The job then prints (Xerox N40) aligned correctly.

Currently, even after telling the N40 it has ledger paper and switching it's orientation, my 11 X 17 reports print "down" the page rather than across.

Is it possible to tell CUPS to rotate the print job?

pixellany 03-02-2010 10:22 AM

This is not normally a CUPS question---it depends on the driver (and possibly the application).

When you install the printer, do you get more than one option for a driver? (My system offers only a foomatic/postscript driver.)
(And---what driver are you currently using?)

Do you have the same issue in different apps? (and what apps are you using?)

cmnorton 03-02-2010 10:53 AM

Options Work up to a point
 
I found lp options that come close to what I want to do. Now, I'm trying to find a Xerox DocuPrint N40 PPD file.

cmnorton 03-02-2010 10:55 AM

Answers to Questions
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixellany (Post 3882748)
This is not normally a CUPS question---it depends on the driver (and possibly the application).

When you install the printer, do you get more than one option for a driver? (My system offers only a foomatic/postscript driver.)
(And---what driver are you currently using?)

Do you have the same issue in different apps? (and what apps are you using?)

These are plain text files, that happen to be up to 133 characters wide. We're printing using CUPS lp.

I can print from Windows if it's a wide PDF, and there's an option to sense orientation from the PDF width. That works fine, but I'd like to print direct from Linux.

So, there really are no applications involved. And, yes I know it's an older printer.

pixellany 03-02-2010 11:02 AM

"lp" in a terminal will send the output to the default printer---look in the cups setup to see what that is. Presumably in this context it is your Xerox.
In the cups setup, you can specify defaults for the printer, and I assume you also specify options as part of the lp command.

cmnorton 03-02-2010 02:05 PM

Do use -d
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixellany (Post 3882804)
"lp" in a terminal will send the output to the default printer---look in the cups setup to see what that is. Presumably in this context it is your Xerox.
In the cups setup, you can specify defaults for the printer, and I assume you also specify options as part of the lp command.

Not only -d for the printer name, but also -o Custom11x17in -o landscape, but I cannot get it to print correctly. I think this is a driver/PPD issue on my version of Red Hat.

pixellany 03-02-2010 03:18 PM

Things to try:
  • Printing from applications--eg OpenOffice
  • Set the defaults in the cups configuration page
  • Try different drivers
  • Check the "linux printing" website
  • Check the Xerox website

cmnorton 03-02-2010 03:53 PM

Must be Automated
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixellany (Post 3883084)
Things to try:
  • Printing from applications--eg OpenOffice
  • Set the defaults in the cups configuration page
  • Try different drivers
  • Check the "linux printing" website
  • Check the Xerox website

I think these problems will go away when we use a more modern hp printer. Part of the problem is we need to print programmatically at night. So, I need to set whatever options on the command line.

pixellany 03-03-2010 07:11 AM

In general, if you don't know what the problem is, then you cannot assume that a different printer is going to solve it.

This said, I suppose that a newer printer **might** have better drivers available.....

cmnorton 03-03-2010 07:17 AM

N40
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixellany (Post 3883833)
In general, if you don't know what the problem is, then you cannot assume that a different printer is going to solve it.

This said, I suppose that a newer printer **might** have better drivers available.....

The N40 is deprecated. Using RH EL 5 WS, I was able to print correctly to the printer, and was also at least able to pick a Xerox DocuPrint printer, instead of generic on RH EL 4 ES.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.