LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
16vjohn
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
CentOS Installation Problem - Can't recognize logical drives with RAID


I have a dell poweredge server with an older AMI MegaRAID card. I have verified everything to be working correctly. I created the logical drives (two logicals of Raid 1 and 5). I initialize the logical drives per request from the RAID utility. Reboot and boot from CD to install centos. You can see that is loads the i2o_block driver for my RAID card. Select graphical install, pick language and keyboard style. Now we have a problem. I get an error that says something to the effect of:

Unable to determine geometry of device blah blah blah/hda

Now... I have SCSI drives in RAID... not IDE. IIRC, hda meant those were IDE drives or drives mimicking the legacy hardware. Since it's SCSI shouldn't it be sda? I do have an IDE optical drive... is that what it's trying to write to?

Then it asks me I must initialize the drives in order for them to be readable, I say yes and nothing happens... I get the unable to determine geometry error again. Go in circles about 5 more times and I eventually get to the screen where it asks me to create partitions and there are none.

I've been pulling my hair out all day. I've been reading and poking around in linux forums all day. I cannot understand what the deal is here... Anybody have any suggestions?


TIA!!!

Last edited by 16vjohn; 02-14-2008 at 04:12 PM.
 
Old 02-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
aot2002
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Location: NY
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.10
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16vjohn View Post
I have a dell poweredge server with an older AMI MegaRAID card. I have verified everything to be working correctly. I created the logical drives (two logicals of Raid 1 and 5). I initialize the logical drives per request from the RAID utility. Reboot and boot from CD to install centos. You can see that is loads the i2o_block driver for my RAID card. Select graphical install, pick language and keyboard style. Now we have a problem. I get an error that says something to the effect of:

Unable to determine geometry of device blah blah blah/hda

Now... I have SCSI drives in RAID... not IDE. IIRC, hda meant those were IDE drives or drives mimicking the legacy hardware. Since it's SCSI shouldn't it be sda? I do have an IDE optical drive... is that what it's trying to write to?

Then it asks me I must initialize the drives in order for them to be readable, I say yes and nothing happens... I get the unable to determine geometry error again. Go in circles about 5 more times and I eventually get to the screen where it asks me to create partitions and there are none.

I've been pulling my hair out all day. I've been reading and poking around in linux forums all day. I cannot understand what the deal is here... Anybody have any suggestions?


TIA!!!


first update your bios on the pc to the latest normally thats a bios limitation !
 
Old 02-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
16vjohn
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aot2002 View Post
first update your bios on the pc to the latest normally thats a bios limitation !
Funny you mention that I am one step ahead of you though. I just got done flashing EVERYTHING. I flashed the RAID card, which had a firmware about 1 year newer. I flashed the mb bios to a version several years newer. I also flash the ESM which included the power paralleling junk, server monitoring goodies and more importantly, the backplane. Everything in this server had old firmware, but it is now up to date. Unfortunately, efforts were fruitless. I still get the same error.

I did try a CentOS 4 disk. Instead of giving me a wash of errors it just told me that there were no drives available. CentOS 4 had the "megaraid" driver instead of the "i20" driver.
 
Old 02-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
aot2002
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Location: NY
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.10
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16vjohn View Post
Funny you mention that I am one step ahead of you though. I just got done flashing EVERYTHING. I flashed the RAID card, which had a firmware about 1 year newer. I flashed the mb bios to a version several years newer. I also flash the ESM which included the power paralleling junk, server monitoring goodies and more importantly, the backplane. Everything in this server had old firmware, but it is now up to date. Unfortunately, efforts were fruitless. I still get the same error.

I did try a CentOS 4 disk. Instead of giving me a wash of errors it just told me that there were no drives available. CentOS 4 had the "megaraid" driver instead of the "i20" driver.
did you setup the array first using the configuration utility on your card?
when you boot it should ask you to go into the config to change the array !

did you build a mirror array?
 
Old 02-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
16vjohn
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aot2002 View Post
did you setup the array first using the configuration utility on your card?
when you boot it should ask you to go into the config to change the array !

did you build a mirror array?
Yeah... I built a RAID 1 and 5 array from the drives I had.

But... I figured it out.

After much RTFM'ing I found an obscure archived thread about 30 pages into a google search. The guy had an AMI MegaRAID card like me. CentOS didnt' like the i20 setting.... instead he set the controller from "I20" to "Mass Storage". After a reboot, the CentOS install successfully found the drives without a hitch.

Thanks to those that helped.

Last edited by 16vjohn; 02-14-2008 at 06:13 PM.
 
Old 02-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
aot2002
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Location: NY
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.10
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16vjohn View Post
Yeah... I built a RAID 1 and 5 array from the drives I had.

But... I figured it out.

After much RTFM'ing I found an obscure archived thread about 30 pages into a google search. The guy had an AMI MegaRAID card like me. CentOS didnt' like the i20 setting.... instead he set the controller from "I20" to "Mass Storage". After a reboot, the CentOS install successfully found the drives without a hitch.

Thanks to those that helped.
glad you got it worked out
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
centos kernel upgrade problem (raid driver) blunt Linux - Server 1 10-29-2007 04:35 PM
Problem with RAID 1 on CentOS txn Linux - Hardware 0 07-03-2007 03:51 PM
Misunderstanding Logical Drives chess380 Linux - Newbie 11 01-10-2007 04:06 AM
Hardware raid controller problem with CentOS rock_hopper Linux - Distributions 1 12-15-2005 08:31 AM
How to add Logical Drives kool_kid Slackware 10 03-18-2005 07:08 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration