||05-15-2011 07:18 PM
Building a storage and vpn server on the cheap
I am trying to figure out the best server configuration for the following:
- Low power (I want to plug the server in and forget about it)
- High redundancy of data (I don't want to loose my music and documents!)
- The ability to stream music + movies to laptop (maybe subsonic or Jinzora)
- VPN server with IPsec or OpenVPN
- $800 budget
- 2TB with ability to add more drives
- Unix Server with software RAID (maybe RAID6)
- VPN setup on virtual OS via VirtualBox
- NAS setup on virtual OS via VirtualBox
- What would be the best raid configuration if I wanted at least 2TB of data and the ability to add more disks when the space begins to add up?
- What would be the best OS to use for setting up a software RAID (is a FakeRAID a better solution)?
- Does it make more sense to separate the VPN and NAS with different OS's?
My goal will be to access my data from any computer from anywhere but mostly just my Laptop from work. Suggested Hardware and Software for this configuration or better ideas for configuration would be greatly appreciated!