LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Security
User Name
Password
Linux - Security This forum is for all security related questions.
Questions, tips, system compromises, firewalls, etc. are all included here.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2004, 03:39 AM   #1
markus1982
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2002
Location: Stuttgart (Germany)
Distribution: Debian/GNU Linux
Posts: 1,467

Rep: Reputation: 46
request for questions for a general guide to chrooting


I am currently writing a more or less comprehensive general guide to chrooting and wondering if ANYBODY of you has questions regarding chrooting that he/she would like to have answered.

Please post all your questions regarding chrooting here.
 
Old 01-29-2004, 03:36 AM   #2
computergeek84
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: /dev/null
Distribution: Gentoo, Ubuntu
Posts: 61

Rep: Reputation: 15
I have been trying off and on lately to figure out how to lock users on my Debian system into chroot jails. I downloaded the software from the Chroot Jail Project (www.gsyc.inf.uc3m.es/~assman/jail/) and it didn't seem to work, although I followed the instructions very carefully (it basically bombed because the substitute jail shell didn't work right). Is there a way to really get that working, or a way to manually set up chroot jails?

Thanks!
 
Old 01-29-2004, 04:26 AM   #3
Capt_Caveman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Distribution: Fedora
Posts: 3,658

Rep: Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally posted by computergeek84
I have been trying off and on lately to figure out how to lock users on my Debian system into chroot jails. I downloaded the software from the Chroot Jail Project (www.gsyc.inf.uc3m.es/~assman/jail/) and it didn't seem to work, although I followed the instructions very carefully (it basically bombed because the substitute jail shell didn't work right). Is there a way to really get that working, or a way to manually set up chroot jails?

Thanks!
Yes. I set one up using the Chroot Jail Project last weekend and got it to work fine. Does take some tinkering. If you have any specific questions about it, post a new thread.

That actually brings up a point I was going to ask markus1982 about his guide. Are you planning on using any particular method (like the Chroot Jail Projects utils) or are you focusing on manually creating the jail? Or both?
 
Old 01-29-2004, 06:12 AM   #4
markus1982
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2002
Location: Stuttgart (Germany)
Distribution: Debian/GNU Linux
Posts: 1,467

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally posted by Capt_Caveman
Yes. I set one up using the Chroot Jail Project last weekend and got it to work fine. Does take some tinkering. If you have any specific questions about it, post a new thread.

That actually brings up a point I was going to ask markus1982 about his guide. Are you planning on using any particular method (like the Chroot Jail Projects utils) or are you focusing on manually creating the jail? Or both?
Well I could do it the chroot jail project way, but I decided to do it manually since this is how people will learn how to do it themselves. You can compare the chroot jail project to a gui ... if you know what button to push you and manually would be editing the config file (which i personally prefer).

The guide will just be a general guide and there will be an example (mysql) for it.
 
Old 01-29-2004, 06:23 AM   #5
Capt_Caveman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Distribution: Fedora
Posts: 3,658

Rep: Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally posted by markus1982
Well I could do it the chroot jail project way, but I decided to do it manually since this is how people will learn how to do it themselves. You can compare the chroot jail project to a gui ... if you know what button to push you and manually would be editing the config file (which i personally prefer).

The guide will just be a general guide and there will be an example (mysql) for it.
Agreed. I'll be looking forward to checking it out
 
Old 01-29-2004, 06:54 AM   #6
markus1982
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2002
Location: Stuttgart (Germany)
Distribution: Debian/GNU Linux
Posts: 1,467

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 46
If time allows I will write the first edition later today and upload it to my website and post the direct link here :-)
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General request RGummi Linux - Laptop and Netbook 3 12-02-2005 05:21 AM
Linux Lappy & Wireless PCMCIA - Definitive Guide Request geokker Linux - Laptop and Netbook 3 11-11-2004 03:11 PM
FYI: general paper about chrooting markus1982 Linux - Security 6 02-21-2004 02:41 PM
Good guide to Linux in general or red Hat 9 Autonom664 Linux - Newbie 2 01-17-2004 04:06 PM
FYI: general guide to chrooting markus1982 Linux - Security 2 06-21-2003 02:58 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration