Remote Authentication failing in multiple apps
I'm trying to set up a new Linux server using Fedora Core 3, with various apps like qmail, apache, etc. I'm having a problem though whenever I try to log in remotely to the linux box from WinXP as any of the local linux users. A few examples:
1) I try to configure a POP3 email client to log into the mailbox of one of my linux users, and it fails saying my password is incorrect.
2) I try to configure samba and set up a remote share (I included encrypt passwords = yes and the smbpasswd programs, just to get that out of the way), and I can see the share but can not authenticate to access it with the username / password combos I'm sending for my users.
3) I've now tried to set up an FTP server on the host, vsftpd, did an ldd vsftpd to confirm that it is linking up with PAM, put in the vsftpd.pam file into the /etc/pam.d/ path, also set local_enable=YES in the vsftpd.conf file. But whenever I send in the auth credentials it says there is an invalid password.
The fact that I'm having these password problems across all of these different apps is telling me one of two things:
1) I ain't installing them correctly for the right authentication mechanisms.
2) There's something misconfigured globally that isn't allowing me to remotely login to my linux box using the linux users from my Windows box.
If I need to follow up with the contents of any files or outputs of shell commands let me know and I'll be happy to do so (I'm just not sure what would be helpful at this point for everyone). Thanks again for the help, it is much appreciated.