Originally Posted by Habitual
Regular archiving of /home/$user/.bash_history to a root-only directory should help manage this.
Can your advice "manage" this?
- as said before: 'history -c',
- link history file to /dev/null,
- setting HISTFILE=/dev/null HISTSIZE=0,
- use of HISTIGNORE (you don't know what you miss if you don't log it ;-p),
- log out and have 'at' create sparse file, do a 12GB seek, fill with /dev/random and replace shell history file,
- export a PROMPT_COMMAND that fscks up shell history contents,
- run commands tru crontab, procmail recipe or anything that allows escaping to the shell.