LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Security (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-security-4/)
-   -   Email provider, browsing history privacy? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-security-4/email-provider-browsing-history-privacy-897491/)

lugoteehalt 08-15-2011 05:46 PM

Email provider, browsing history privacy?
 
Two questions:

1/ I've heard that if you have your email open in your browser the email people, in my case Yahoo, can track you when you're surfing and generally rape your sister. Is this true?

2/ Is it true that the sites you visit may read your browsing history?

frankbell 08-15-2011 08:17 PM

There is no need for you to have an email open in your browser for you to be tracked. That's what adware is all about.

You might find this article interesting.

http://lifehacker.com/5767080/what-d...-its-important

lugoteehalt 08-15-2011 10:08 PM

Thanks. Very informative.

I have all sorts of cookie blocking and script blocking and ad blocking add-ons to firefox. It is probably gonads that if the yahoo email page is open it is screwing you is it?

Can web sites look into your browsing history - is it important therefore to wipe the history all the time?

frankbell 08-16-2011 08:54 PM

I'm not a computer forensics specialist by any means, but I have always been interested in security, so here's my uninformed opinion:

I don't think a website can view your browswer history in the sense of seeing the stored history cache unless there is malware on your computer or an unpatched vulnerability in your browser to allow it to do so.

That is not the same as tracking your behavior while you are actively surfing the web, and even that requires "tracking cookies" or the equivalent. These articles might be of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_bug

http://www.symantec.com/connect/arti...rensics-part-1

In other words, the website would have to actively invade your computer in some way, not just observe your behavior while connected.

Again, this is my amateurish understanding. I certainly trust that, if I'm wrong, someone will enlighten both of us.

catkin 08-17-2011 12:24 PM

A default installation of Firefox reports every link you try to open to Google so they can warn you if it is potentially harmful. That's so helpful :D

unSpawn 08-17-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbell (Post 4445088)
I don't think a website can view your browswer history in the sense of seeing the stored history cache unless there is malware on your computer or an unpatched vulnerability in your browser to allow it to do so.

Javascript tricks, by trying to determine if elements were cached, actually was the case with Firefox (search hackademix).


Quote:

Originally Posted by catkin (Post 4445756)
A default installation of Firefox reports every link you try to open to Google so they can warn you if it is potentially harmful. That's so helpful :D

Until recently (meaning I haven't checked this behaviour recently) a default Firefox installation would, upon selecting a bookmark in the bookmark manager, already issue a request to that bookmarks URI and for no valid reason I can think of.

lugoteehalt 08-17-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catkin (Post 4445756)
A default installation of Firefox reports every link you try to open to Google so they can warn you if it is potentially harmful. That's so helpful :D

Google seems sinister these days: "If you have something that you don’t want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn’t be doing it in the first place."

- Eric Schmidt, Google CEO

http://www.unsanitized.net/linkstatus/?lang=en trouble is haven't got said dialog box. Maybe it's been fixed.

sundialsvcs 08-21-2011 03:23 PM

You should assume that everything you do on the Internet is monitored and recorded.

Why? Because it can be done, and because it represents a multi-hundred billion dollar covert Government contract. ("You get paid gobs of money, and no one will ever know how much you're getting paid, or what government kickbacks you're 'sharing it with.' Plus, you sell boatloads of hard disk drives.")

I'm not being entirely cynical when I say this: it's human nature, and members of the species Homo Sapiens are well known to be greedy (!)s ;) when they have half-a-chance to be. Especially when they can mutter catch-phrases like, "To Keep America Safe" while selling boatloads of disk drives...

So, "plan accordingly." You're not paranoid: You are being watched.

And-d-d-d-d... let me also say this in fairness: there are people out there who need to be watched, and if ever I discover that my Government or any Government is 'caught napping' by any one of them, if I am still alive, I'm gonna be pissed and wonder what $##CLASSIFIED## Dollars was being spent for, if not for this purpose. So... you can't have it both ways, and quite frankly I'd rather them be poking around a little bit too much ... just not "more than a little bit" ... in my boring private life than to be 'caught napping' by anyone. (Back in the day, I briefly owned a police scanner. I got rid of the thing. I discovered I didn't want to know.)

devnull10 08-21-2011 04:18 PM

It depends what you call tracking. Google for instance use targeted advertising - I once searched for a particular brand of perfume as a present for the other half, and then for ages on a load of sites I kept seeing adverts for it. Seen it with other things too.

lugoteehalt 08-21-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundialsvcs (Post 4449533)
You should assume that everything you do on the Internet is monitored and recorded.

Why? Because it can be done, and because it represents a multi-hundred billion dollar covert Government contract. ("You get paid gobs of money, and no one will ever know how much you're getting paid, or what government kickbacks you're 'sharing it with.' Plus, you sell boatloads of hard disk drives.")

I'm not being entirely cynical when I say this: it's human nature, and members of the species Homo Sapiens are well known to be greedy (!)s ;) when they have half-a-chance to be. Especially when they can mutter catch-phrases like, "To Keep America Safe" while selling boatloads of disk drives...

So, "plan accordingly." You're not paranoid: You are being watched.

And-d-d-d-d... let me also say this in fairness: there are people out there who need to be watched, and if ever I discover that my Government or any Government is 'caught napping' by any one of them, if I am still alive, I'm gonna be pissed and wonder what $##CLASSIFIED## Dollars was being spent for, if not for this purpose. So... you can't have it both ways, and quite frankly I'd rather them be poking around a little bit too much ... just not "more than a little bit" ... in my boring private life than to be 'caught napping' by anyone. (Back in the day, I briefly owned a police scanner. I got rid of the thing. I discovered I didn't want to know.)

You're almost certainly correct about 'the state' tracking us. But you're a bit sanguine about it. It is close to 1984, and they aren't much interested in protecting us. A few hundred blown up in a subway and it's seen as a propaganda gift.

But it seems reasonable to take steps to stop every tom dick and harry from doing what they like.

devnull10, Know what you mean. I read a scientific paper, something along those lines. And subsequently got an advert for jobs at the National Environment Research Council. They probably think of this as a service.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 PM.