LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Security
User Name
Password
Linux - Security This forum is for all security related questions.
Questions, tips, system compromises, firewalls, etc. are all included here.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
zeelog
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 109

Rep: Reputation: 1
can't get rid of user called nobody


I have this login user named "nobody" that sometimes
appears when I'm running top. nobody often runs find,
but also other programs, but he appears and disappears
so fast I sometimes can't see the PID and I'm too slow
on the kill command.
I have looked into the system and there is no user, or
group, named "nobody". I don't like this. Something is
wrong. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going
on here ? Who is this "nobody" and what does he want
from a simple home computer user who never banks or
even purchases anything online ?
Any ideas would be welcome.
Oh, I'm running an obsolete computer with obsolete software,
( Ubuntu 8.1, Gnome 2.24.1 ) because I'm tired of buying
the newest this and that just to be "obsolete" within a week.
I'm not made of money.
 
Old 01-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
shreyas08
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Posts: 12

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
:-), "nobody wants nothing from you".. It's a simple user that comes by default in ubuntu..
Check for /etc/passwd file and you will find an entry related to it. If you are so annoyed, you can delete it by "userdel nobody".. but i will suggest not to.
 
Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,589

Rep: Reputation: 2558Reputation: 2558Reputation: 2558Reputation: 2558Reputation: 2558Reputation: 2558Reputation: 2558Reputation: 2558Reputation: 2558Reputation: 2558Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelog View Post
I have this login user named "nobody" that sometimes appears when I'm running top. nobody often runs find, but also other programs, but he appears and disappears so fast I sometimes can't see the PID and I'm too slow on the kill command. I have looked into the system and there is no user, or group, named "nobody". I don't like this. Something is wrong. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on here ? Who is this "nobody" and what does he want from a simple home computer user who never banks or even purchases anything online ? Any ideas would be welcome.
The "nobody" user is a pretty standard *nix user, that a lot of system services run under. It's totally normal.
Quote:
Oh, I'm running an obsolete computer with obsolete software, (Ubuntu 8.1, Gnome 2.24.1 ) because I'm tired of buying the newest this and that just to be "obsolete" within a week. I'm not made of money.
You can download and install a new version of Linux anytime, for free. Unless you've got a very, VERY old computer, you can use a new distro anytime you want.
 
Old 01-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Noway2
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10, Slackware 64-current
Posts: 2,124

Rep: Reputation: 776Reputation: 776Reputation: 776Reputation: 776Reputation: 776Reputation: 776Reputation: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelog View Post
Any ideas would be welcome.
Oh, I'm running an obsolete computer with obsolete software,
( Ubuntu 8.1, Gnome 2.24.1 )
Unless you are using a LTS, Long Term Support, version of Ubuntu, you would have stopped receiving updates for this a long time ago, which will leave you vulnerable to all sorts of nasty treats. You are also not getting the benefit of improvements and new features that have occurred over the last couple of years.
 
Old 01-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
David the H.
Bash Guru
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: Osaka, Japan
Distribution: Debian sid + kde 3.5 & 4.4
Posts: 6,823

Rep: Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947
AIUI, it's a simple security device. Many services are set up to run under the limited "nobody" user if they don't need any higher level permissions to operate. If someone manages to compromise that service, they are still restricted to only what "nobody" has access to, which isn't much.

I recommend just leaving it alone.
 
  


Reply

Tags
ubuntu


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Destructor called on objects in deque without it being called explicitly Snark1994 Programming 4 07-13-2011 08:05 AM
Getting rid of root user in Debian Sid frankzen Debian 11 02-27-2008 08:26 PM
Help me to get rid of user account Sharath Murthy Linux - Software 2 05-03-2007 01:51 PM
error looking up rid for user xxxx$: NT_STATUS_NONE_MAPPED saavik Linux - Networking 1 12-05-2005 05:46 AM
I got rid off the virus called M$ windowz !!! neo77777 Linux - General 6 01-12-2002 08:43 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration