LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Security
User Name
Password
Linux - Security This forum is for all security related questions.
Questions, tips, system compromises, firewalls, etc. are all included here.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
measekite
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 42

Rep: Reputation: 16
Question Adding Groups to Groups


Using a GUI how to you add one group (with users) to another group (with other users)? In other words if you add Group A to Group B then B has all of the users from A plus its own.

When you then add more users to A they will automatically show up in B.

Also how do you set the rights for each group using the GUI?
 
Old 03-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
emi_ramo
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Distribution: Debian, KUbuntu
Posts: 213

Rep: Reputation: 36
It's not possible. You can only add users to groups. Alternatively, you can create a GUI which does such actions by internally knowing that all users added to/removed from some group have to be also added/removed from the other. And, if you don't know how to do such application, you can write on such application "wishes list" to do so.

A GUI applications that work with users and groups is KUser. You can go to their app page and add this "wish". If they really don't like your idea, you can do a fork of the app (KUserAdvanced, for example) to acomplish your wish. And, again, if you don't know programming, you can pay someone(s) to do so

Regards,
emi
 
Old 03-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
SlowCoder
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Southeast, U.S.A.
Distribution: Fedora (Desktop), CentOS (Server), Knoppix (Diags)
Posts: 934

Rep: Reputation: 38
I'm not so sure it's not possible. I remember asking the same question and doing some research to find the answer to this same question. I was pretty new to Linux at the time, but I think I got it working.

I think it was some obscure ability that I can't find documentation on any more.

If I remember correctly (and I may not) - Assuming group1 is supposed to become a member of group2, you could add group1 into group2's definition in /etc/group. But there was some sort of special marker to define group1 as a group. I don't remember if it was a %, @ or what. But after I did that, it seemed to work for me.

I posted my findings here at LQ, but that was some time ago, and it appears my post has been expired (no longer listed).
 
Old 03-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
measekite
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 42

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowCoder View Post
I'm not so sure it's not possible. I remember asking the same question and doing some research to find the answer to this same question. I was pretty new to Linux at the time, but I think I got it working.

I think it was some obscure ability that I can't find documentation on any more.

If I remember correctly (and I may not) - Assuming group1 is supposed to become a member of group2, you could add group1 into group2's definition in /etc/group. But there was some sort of special marker to define group1 as a group. I don't remember if it was a %, @ or what. But after I did that, it seemed to work for me.

I posted my findings here at LQ, but that was some time ago, and it appears my post has been expired (no longer listed).
This is one area where Windows (nested groups with assignments) is a little more advanced in this area.
 
Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
emi_ramo
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Distribution: Debian, KUbuntu
Posts: 213

Rep: Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by measekite View Post
This is one area where Windows (nested groups with assignments) is a little more advanced in this area.
Not agree at all.... Have you tried to install emule on wLive? User permissions are not obvious: too difficult and possible recursions, no text files to touch (really nasty, żuh?), possibility to add positive and negative groups, etc. I largely prefer linux groups, where you can easily see if a user belongs to a group or not and then, if s/he has write permissions to a file (for example).

For a 'masterization' of groups like said before, it's preferable a program that does the work for you and for the system (group nesting should also take system recurses if the chains get too long or recursed).

So, again, make your own program (and share it, of course ) to pseudo-nest groups on /etc/group .

Just a note: may be SELinux can help doing this kind of things but... it's a part of Linux I really know nothing about.
 
Old 03-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
Linuxchuck
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Distribution: Slackware from 94-09, Debian Since March 09
Posts: 28

Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by measekite View Post
Using a GUI how to you add one group (with users) to another group (with other users)? In other words if you add Group A to Group B then B has all of the users from A plus its own.

When you then add more users to A they will automatically show up in B.

Also how do you set the rights for each group using the GUI?
Unfortunately, linux does not support nested groups. However, you could probably achieve something close to the end result you are after by using filesystem ACLs. If you could provide an example of one of the "end results" you are looking to achieve, perhaps we could come up with a viable solution.
 
Old 03-12-2009, 02:11 AM   #7
JZL240I-U
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Location: Germany
Distribution: openSuSE 13.1 / 12.3_64-KDE, Ubuntu 14.04, Fedora 20, Mint 17, Chakra
Posts: 3,642

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowCoder View Post
...I posted my findings here at LQ, but that was some time ago, and it appears my post has been expired (no longer listed).
No. To my knowledge nothing is deleted on LQ, since its officially stated purpose is to collect knowledge and make it accessible. Check with the "My Threads" and "My Posts" buttons in the right side panel how far back your posts are preserved and contact the mods if necessary.

You can also do an advanced search entering your nick and the appropriate keywords which might give you better results. HTH.

P.S.: Sorry for the icon in the header. I didn't put it there and I can't get it removed .

Last edited by win32sux; 03-12-2009 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Removed icon which was unintentionally used by JZL240I-U.
 
  


Reply

Tags
groups, users


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Map Windows NT Groups to UNIX Groups - why? kenji1903 Linux - Networking 4 10-16-2007 11:52 AM
adding user and groups cnm Linux - Enterprise 3 01-03-2007 03:45 AM
Adding more groups to files djchris Linux - Security 1 07-27-2005 10:36 AM
Adding user and groups manon Linux - Newbie 3 04-26-2004 12:14 PM
winbind: wbinfo -g only lists global groups from PDC and not local groups saradiya Linux - Networking 0 12-01-2003 02:58 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration