LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > Linux - News
User Name
Password
Linux - News This forum is for original Linux News. If you'd like to write content for LQ, feel free to contact us.
All threads in the forum need to be approved before they will appear.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
pino_otto
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 83

Rep: Reputation: 18
Home Automation with ZigBee and Linux


A friend of mine and I have designed and built a wireless box, which can be used to turn on/off any electrical device at home, office, factory, etc. through a program or internet.

The wireless connection between the box and the controlling computer is performed by ZigBee. The computer is connected to internet and a web application allows to access the box from the web.

The current implementation has the computer running Slackware and the web application written in Java.

In order to test this system, you can go here: http://dimingo.homelinux.com:8080/zsocket

The box is currently attached to a LED lamp located in my lab. You can see the lamp turning on/off, by using my webcam widgets:
- Opera: http://widgets.opera.com/widget/6455
- Yahoo: http://widgets.yahoo.com/gallery/view.php?widget=41802

The lamp application is simple, but this wireless system can have a lot of very useful applications.
 
Old 08-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
jdepcad
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
What Hardware?

Hi

I've been thinking about hacking around with Zigbee in linux a bit. Can you describe what hardware/software you're using on the PC side? I've seen a number of Zigbee USB dongles but I'm not sure which ones work in linux and which have the best libraries/sdk's available
 
Old 08-09-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
pino_otto
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 83

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdepcad
Hi

I've been thinking about hacking around with Zigbee in linux a bit. Can you describe what hardware/software you're using on the PC side? I've seen a number of Zigbee USB dongles but I'm not sure which ones work in linux and which have the best libraries/sdk's available
I used a ZigBee (XBee) USB adapter similar to this: http://www.robot-italy.com/images/im...t_THUMB300.jpg

The driver for this adapter is already included in the recent Linux kernel. You can find more information here: http://ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
 
Old 08-23-2007, 01:25 AM   #4
boomer1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi,

This is really an interesting project!

I have a few questions about some details.
1) How XBee device is controled? Does it provide some Zigbee API via AT commands or something like that?
2) Are these lapms ready to go devices or are home-made?

Thanks a lot in advance
 
Old 08-23-2007, 11:26 PM   #5
jdepcad
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
There's a store not too far from my house that sells these units http://www.control4.com/.

I was thinking of getting the Xbee unit and messing around with some of their switches and whatnot.
 
Old 08-24-2007, 07:24 AM   #6
pino_otto
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 83

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer1 View Post
Hi,

This is really an interesting project!

I have a few questions about some details.
1) How XBee device is controled? Does it provide some Zigbee API via AT commands or something like that?
2) Are these lapms ready to go devices or are home-made?

Thanks a lot in advance
You can control a XBee chip as a serial (RS232) port . XBee provides AT commands for simple configurations and also API for advanced use.

The lamps, which I'm using in my home, are normal lamps, that you can connect to my home-made ZigBee box. This box has inside the XBee chip and a microcontroller with the management firmware. You connect this box to the power wall-socket on one side and to any electric appliance power plug on the other side. That's all !

If someone is interested in having the ZigBee Box, I can produce it.
 
Old 08-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
jdepcad
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdepcad View Post
There's a store not too far from my house that sells these units http://www.control4.com/.

I was thinking of getting the Xbee unit and messing around with some of their switches and whatnot.
Oh, I forgot to mention...although maybe it was obvious.. all their products are zigbee based.
 
Old 04-20-2009, 02:56 AM   #8
1swaroopa5
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Regarding Zigbee to IP conversion..

Hii...

Great job...even i'm working in the same area..but I need to know how Zigbee to IP bridge was developed and implemented?Kindly help me as to how to start and proceed...
With warm Regards..
Swaroopa.
 
Old 07-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
scot_g
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Zigbee usb dongle

Hi I am new to Zigbee development.
I am planing to buy a Zigbee usb dongle which I can attach to my x86 Atom board and control any zigbee slave (eg sensors).

Can you please suggest me what usb dongle I can buy so that I can also get drivers for it on linux platform.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Scott
 
Old 04-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
arvindsacheti
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Home automation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pino_otto View Post
You can control a XBee chip as a serial (RS232) port . XBee provides AT commands for simple configurations and also API for advanced use.

The lamps, which I'm using in my home, are normal lamps, that you can connect to my home-made ZigBee box. This box has inside the XBee chip and a microcontroller with the management firmware. You connect this box to the power wall-socket on one side and to any electric appliance power plug on the other side. That's all !

If someone is interested in having the ZigBee Box, I can produce it.
Hi
I am interested in getting a zigbee box made for home automation
 
Old 04-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #11
arvindsacheti
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi,
I am interested in developing home automation. Can you guys help me ?
 
Old 04-21-2010, 02:16 AM   #12
pino_otto
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 83

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindsacheti View Post
Hi
I am interested in getting a zigbee box made for home automation
Hi arvindsacheti,

I can build a zigbee box for you and sell it to you.

You have to tell me some more details about what you need, such as:
- how many plugs?
- type of plug (US, EU, ...)?

If you want, you can contact me by email: giovanni@dimingo.com

best regards
giovanni
 
  


Reply

Tags
automation, conference, develop, developing, home, interested, room


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
zigbee/2.4 programming tutorial kpachopoulos Programming 0 07-03-2007 04:27 AM
LXer: Home Automation is Here! LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-21-2007 04:16 AM
LXer: Nintendo's Wii gets into the home automation game LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-26-2006 03:21 PM
LXer: Linux on Board: Home Automation Using X10 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 06-30-2006 03:54 PM
X10 Home automation oulevon General 5 07-14-2004 08:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration