Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
There is less than 12 hours left to vote in the 2015 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards. Click here to go to the polls. Vote now and make sure your voice is heard!
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
what is that yum-updatesd do? how can we install in the linux box. I am little bit confused; the last time i install Centos 5.2 on my comp it was there and now when i install in another comp it is not there? did i miss any thing during installation or has it to be manually configured? what is the function of yum-updatesd.conf file? Please help me as i m quite new to linux and therefore so my questions?
hi dear , yum-updatesd service is use on repo. creation .
HOw to create repo written below:
1. Copy "Server" directory from the CD/DVD in ur system.
2. Once copied Move in that directory for eg. u copied dir. in /home/Server/ so U HAVE TO MOVE IN THE SAME DIR. /home/Server/
3. Then run this command rpm -ivh --aid createrepo....tab press.
4. Go in the direc. /etc/yum.repos.d/
5. u will find one file here rhel.repo, make a same copy of that file with different name / for eg : xyz.repo.
open that file write base url in that file : for eg: baseurl-file:///home/Server
baseurl should be same as you copied your "Server" directory..
gpg check =0;enabeld=1,last line should be commented..
SAVE THAT FILE
6. run command createrepo -v path where u copied than ENTER
7. After that u have to use service yum-updatesd restart
8. run "chkconfig yum-updated on"
9. now ur repository is created in your system n install any rpm without showing dependencies...basically it helps to remove dependency..