LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
mari0s
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
You do not appear to have the sources for the 2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.028stab095.1 kernel


I am trying to install dahdi-linux-complete-2.6.1+2.6.1 and get the following error when I 'make':

Code:
make -C linux all
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/asterisk/dahdi-linux-complete-2.6.1+2.6.1/linux'
make -C drivers/dahdi/firmware firmware-loaders
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/asterisk/dahdi-linux-complete-2.6.1+2.6.1/linux/drivers/dahdi/firmware'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/asterisk/dahdi-linux-complete-2.6.1+2.6.1/linux/drivers/dahdi/firmware'
You do not appear to have the sources for the 2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.028stab095.1 kernel installed.
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/asterisk/dahdi-linux-complete-2.6.1+2.6.1/linux'
make: *** [all] Error 2
"uname -r" gives me:
Code:
2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.028stab095.1
" rpm -qa | grep -i kernel" gives me:
Code:
kernel-headers-2.6.18-308.4.1.el5
kernel-devel-2.6.18-308.4.1.el5
I searched and found the source files at "/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-308.4.1.el5-i686"

Can you please help with this, thank you

Last edited by mari0s; 05-14-2012 at 07:11 AM.
 
Old 05-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Ser Olmy
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 2,412

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari0s View Post
"uname -r" gives me:
Code:
2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.028stab095.1
...does not match this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari0s View Post
I searched and found the source files at "/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-308.4.1.el5-i686"
You must install the kernel source files for the kernel you're currently running (2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.028stab095.1).
 
Old 05-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
mari0s
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser Olmy View Post
This:


...does not match this:


You must install the kernel source files for the kernel you're currently running (2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.028stab095.1).
thanks for the help,
am running centos 5.8 in openvz, so I tried following but didn't work:
Code:
rpm -ivh http://download.openvz.org/kernel/branches/rhel5-2.6.18/028stab095.1/ovzkernel-2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.028stab095.1.src.rpm
here are some info that may be helpful to solve this issue.
# uname -a ; rpm -qa kernel\* | sort
Code:
Linux [HOSTNAME].[DELETED] 2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.028stab095.1 #1 SMP Mon Oct 24 20:49:24 MSD 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
kernel-devel-2.6.18-308.4.1.el5
kernel-headers-2.6.18-308.4.1.el5
kernel-devel doesn't matches the running kernel?

Sorry my friends if this is a "so newbie" questions, i've been using linux for less than a year as a web servers and am not yet used to it but with the help of this great forums and getting some good books for command line and shell scripting i will soon catch up with you
thanks

Last edited by mari0s; 05-14-2012 at 05:52 PM.
 
Old 05-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Ser Olmy
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 2,412

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari0s View Post
thanks for the help,
am running centos 5.8 in openvz, so I tried following but didn't work:
Code:
rpm -ivh http://download.openvz.org/kernel/branches/rhel5-2.6.18/028stab095.1/ovzkernel-2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.028stab095.1.src.rpm
"It didn't work" is a somewhat ambiguous error report, to put it mildly. What was the specific error message?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari0s View Post
here are some info that may be helpful to solve this issue.
# uname -a ; rpm -qa kernel\* | sort
Code:
Linux [HOSTNAME].[DELETED] 2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.028stab095.1 #1 SMP Mon Oct 24 20:49:24 MSD 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
kernel-devel-2.6.18-308.4.1.el5
kernel-headers-2.6.18-308.4.1.el5
kernel-devel doesn't matches the running kernel?
Indeed. You should uninstall these packages and replace them with ones that match your kernel.
 
Old 05-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,015

Rep: Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454
why the heck are you doing this
on CentOS 5.8 ????????????????


for cent 5.8 run
Code:
yum update
----- then run -------
yum reinstall kernel 
reboot
then run
Code:
yum install kernel-devel
you NEVER ever install a random kernel using rpm
there are many MANY scripts that need to run AFTER a kernel is replaced

please READ the rhel documentation and the CentOS wiki
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/...erprise_Linux/
-- the wiki is a MUST READ !!! --
http://wiki.centos.org/
 
Old 05-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
mari0s
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
why the heck are you doing this

on CentOS 5.8 ????????????????


for cent 5.8 run
Code:
yum update
----- then run -------
yum reinstall kernel 
reboot
then run
Code:
yum install kernel-devel
you NEVER ever install a random kernel using rpm
there are many MANY scripts that need to run AFTER a kernel is replaced

please READ the rhel documentation and the CentOS wiki
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/...erprise_Linux/
-- the wiki is a MUST READ !!! --
http://wiki.centos.org/
Well, i need to explain my problem more and steps i made.
this is not a physical machine, its virtual server using openvz container in a node, and there is single shared kernel for all VPS'es on the node.
before a while i needed to install gcc compiler and couldn't, then i found the exclusion "/etc/yum.conf:exclude=kernel* glib*" so i removed both exclusion, and then compiler installed successfully.
and now i made yum update, yum install the latest package by default so devel and header got updated but the kernel is locked on the shared kernel "2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.028stab095.1"
so i need to get source, headers and devel for that version of kernel. and i don't know how.


Edit: problem solved, the following package
Code:
rpm -ivh http://download.openvz.org/kernel/branches/rhel5-2.6.18/028stab095.1/ovzkernel-devel-2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.028stab095.1.i686.rpm
Fixed my problem, hope other people having same issue find this...
Thank you all

Last edited by mari0s; 05-15-2012 at 05:03 AM.
 
Old 05-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
bartock
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
Resurrecting the dead!

Hi;

I find myself in the same situation with the same error.
So, just to be clear, the sources that are being referenced are *NOT* on the virtual machine, they are on the main machine. So, the host OS must have these kernel sources for this to be resolved?

Am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks - Glen


Quote:
Originally Posted by mari0s View Post
Well, i need to explain my problem more and steps i made.
this is not a physical machine, its virtual server using openvz container in a node, and there is single shared kernel for all VPS'es on the node.
before a while i needed to install gcc compiler and couldn't, then i found the exclusion "/etc/yum.conf:exclude=kernel* glib*" so i removed both exclusion, and then compiler installed successfully.
and now i made yum update, yum install the latest package by default so devel and header got updated but the kernel is locked on the shared kernel "2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.028stab095.1"
so i need to get source, headers and devel for that version of kernel. and i don't know how.


Edit: problem solved, the following package
Code:
rpm -ivh http://download.openvz.org/kernel/branches/rhel5-2.6.18/028stab095.1/ovzkernel-devel-2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.028stab095.1.i686.rpm
Fixed my problem, hope other people having same issue find this...
Thank you all
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Display goes blank during boot sequence RHEL 2.6.18-274.3.1.el5 skywalker975 Linux - Desktop 6 10-26-2011 02:09 PM
Issue with 'tg3' module with the kernel-2.6.18-274.3.1.el5 dezavu Linux - Kernel 2 10-12-2011 03:21 AM
how to make kernel source 2.6.18-194.el5 honstman Linux - Kernel 4 08-11-2011 11:29 PM
Kernel : kernel-2.6.18-92.el5: schedule_timeout: wrong timeout manish250 Linux - Server 2 12-07-2010 10:48 PM
Installing sc92031 on RHEL5 (kernel 2.6.18-53.el5) dham_sizzy Linux - Hardware 2 02-07-2009 09:25 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration